[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you resign yourself to having no choice but to work five
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1
File: Black-windows_542931.jpg (53 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
Black-windows_542931.jpg
53 KB, 1920x1200
How do you resign yourself to having no choice but to work five days a week, every single week with little to no breaks, for pretty much the rest of your entire life? I can't do it. How do you do this without going insane or killing yourself?
>>
The only way I've seen people do it is by working in a field they're passionate about. Other than that you can numb yourself with liquor and drugs or just use whatever free time you have on a hobby that could possibly end up getting you money one day.
>>
>>16954554
Are you kidding it's easy as fuck.
Idk maybe I've just mastered positive attitude magic. One of the five magics.
>>
You choose to be happy instead of sad.
>>
One thing that worked for me was I decided not to accept it. I found good friends to talk to that helped me change my life around. They helped me formulate a plan to get out of it.
>>
If there is something you just can't accept and just get angry about every time it's mentioned. It's time for a change.
>>
>>16954613
>>16954630
I don't have any other choice.
>>
Find a job that you enjoy or find interesting/engaging.
>>
>>16954554
>I can't do it.
How long have you been trying?

The big thimg, I find, can ne broken into four rules:
1) Enjoy what you do for work.
2) Enjoy what you do outside work.
3) The above two (or more) things should not be the same.
4) All else being equal, the outside-work thing should be the one you enjoy more.

The fourth rule may sound strange, but there's a reason for it. Doing only one thing is death: the basic recipe for burnout. There is no choice but to keep doing the work thing, but all the other things are technically optional, and thus there is a tendency to drop them in favor of the work thing. Having a not-work thing that you enjpy more than the work thing is the best way to ensure that you won't drop them all: you may find yourself going down to two (work and the not-work thing you enjoy more than work), but not to one.
>>
>>16954630
>It's time for a change.

>>16954634
>I don't have any other choice.
Then you may need to be the thing that changes.
>>
>>16954634
see these
>>16954630
>>16954613
make your own future
>>
>>16954554
There are alternatives.

1. Develop some transportable skill that can let you be a hired gun, moving from job to job on short-term contracts.

2. Work like hell and save every penny for a year and then take six months or a year off to
follow your dreams. Repeat as necessary.

3. Find a profession that is not 'full time' or full year.

4. etc, etc, etc,
>>
I'm with OP on this one. No idea how the fuck you can live like that.

>>16955828
>3. Find a profession that is not 'full time' or full year

List some professions where you can work 2 days a week or so? Onegaishimasu, senpai!!
>>
>>16955856

Serious professions:

Teacher is not full year. Despite what some retards say, you get three full months a year off in some place.

More 'professions':

>Hotel / hospitality
>Lifeguard
>Farmhand
>Childminder / nanny / aupair
>Graphic designer, any kind of freelancer such a journalist etc.
>Contractor e.g. builder etc.
>>
>>16956297
Thanks faŠ¼
>>
>>16954554
You be older than 18 or be an entrepreneur.
>>
>>16956297
>hotel/hospitality

If he doesn't like 9 - 5 why the fuck would you suggest this? Unless its a really shabby or slow hotel they're going to work you at least 10 hours a day, more than likely 6 days a week average.
>>
I gave up.. I don't like my job. But it pays well, and I can't get a job paying this much anywhere else.

am I happy? Fuck no. Even when I'm off work. I don't have shit to do. I'm always unmotivated and bored. It's amazing that I've even able to force myself to workout. I really can't believe I even have the energy for that.
>>
>>16954554

I'm with ya, OP. My only hope is that I'm building success and shit to become a contractor or join a smaller business that offers up more time off to their workers in the future.

I hate the locked-in 9-5 stuff.
>>
>>16954579
This. And you take joy in what you're doing.
>>
>>16955682
Plus this one
>>
>>16954554
Maybe realizing that's what humans have always done?
>>
I went to college and I'm getting a degree that will allow me to work in a field I enjoy.
If for whatever reason this doesn't work out then I'll just enlist in the military or try for officer training school.
There's no goddamn way I'm ever going back to work some shitty customer service or office job.
>>
>>16957132
this. currently finished a 2 year trade. i have no interest in killing myself for 4 fucking years at a big schoool only to be used and abused. i can do that as a moderately educated peon.

if nothing changes by the time i'm 25 and i'm still fucking lost, i'll enlist in the military.

m-maybe we'll see each other there sempai
>>
>>16954554
i ask myself the same question. currently in university. quite enjoy my study. would rather become a criminal than work a dead end job or kill myself.
>>
>>16957132
>>16957140

You don't want to join the military right now, or even in the next few years
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.