[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do/did you find yourself? When? And what happend?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: finding-yourself1.jpg (51 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
finding-yourself1.jpg
51 KB, 960x720
How do/did you find yourself?
When? And what happend?
>>
I think there are two key concepts at play.

- You are your habits, you become what you repeatedly do
- You can change who you are by picking up new habits

The problem which remains is to identify the things you like to see in yourself. It's quite difficult to do introspection when you are constantly busy with everyday life which is why it's best if you have a way to disconnect, to fly away from your stress for a period of time and gain a clear perspective on your life. Try different things, talk to new people.
>>
>>16953728
A few years ago. I realized that I'm a worthless sack of shit who is borderline sociopathic. It made me feel freer but at the same time bad because I know that my entire life is a lie.
>>
I came to the conclusion that the "self" as we commonly think about it is an illusion and that I'm nothing more than the outcome of circumstance and experience. After that it was pretty easy to figure out why I make the decisions I make and why I have the opinions I have.
>>
>>16953816
That sounds edgy as shit, what did you do with that information?
>>
I realized I was gay.
>>
Still searching at the age of 26
>>
>>16953858

More or less this.

You don't find yourself. You slowly discover things you like and slowly refine those preferences so that you're more consistent and not as back and forth. But you're still not bound to any single "self." You can change your mind.

Just because you came to some realization backpacking through India doesn't mean that realization has to define your personality forever.

IMO, people who "found themselves" tend to be stunted in the long term.
>>
I realized that my time alive is finite and that I should just enjoy it. Never been happier.
>>
Just a cog in a machine.
>>
>>16953728
You're always finding yourself. It never stops unless you just give up and become cynical and bitter.
>>
File: 1458170446224.jpg (28 KB, 604x604) Image search: [Google]
1458170446224.jpg
28 KB, 604x604
'Finding yourself' is a consumer experience.
'Finding yourself' is a waste of time.
Your personal identity is something you drag along with you, even if you have a hard time perceiving it from your perspective.
There's no reason to go on some kind of spirit quest when you turn twenty.
Your life isn't a Seth Rogan or Michael Cera film.
Travel and self-indulgence is not fulfilling.
You are not Tony Bourdain.
Tweeting pictures of food from Singapore will not land you a book or television deal.
Live your own life and make something out of it.
>>
Take LSD and you'll see yourself for everything you are
>>
Being bitter, is for womans, They love Waste their life being bitter. I am 40 years old, find myself ever Day...
>>
>>16953876
How is that edgy as shit? Are you retarded? I didn't do anything with it. I'm keeping on living this lie. I'll be 30 soon and really all I'm doing is existing and not living. It's a depressing existence but then again if I was worth something then I'd have more of a reason to live.
>>
>>16954050
thank you
>>
People are constantly changing. Ten years from now, you and I will almost be entirely different people. When I started to think this way, I also resolved to gently guide myself in the direction of becoming somebody I could be proud to show to others.
>>
>>16954069
For me it was a blunt ride with a friend
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.