[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Job questions
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: 1456124120219.jpg (141 KB, 534x820) Image search: [Google]
1456124120219.jpg
141 KB, 534x820
How do you write cover letters? I'm not a retard, I know how to use google, but all the boilerplate examples that just read "I found the position on linked-in, I'm a hardworking rising professional eager to work as a ___" examples are just chores to read at worst and restating the accompanying resume at best.

Anyone have any cover letters they'd like to share that have actually succeeded? I am having trouble organically putting stuff about the company mission into it.

Second question, what's the right answer to "what have you been doing since graduation?" I graduated in August and have been unemployed since then. My resume is circulating around at least five temp/staffing/recruiting agencies but I have not found a single role through them and I don't really have any confidence that any of them are looking to place me since all but two were extremely dismissive.
>>
>>16947836
pls respond
>>
>>16948982
pls respond
>>
>>16949143
pls respond
>>
Bump for interest.
>>
>>16947836
Well, I find cover letters silly. Most employers don't read them, they go straight to the actual resume. I feel it looks professional. Normally, it's just a small summary of your traits and interest for the job your applying for.
>>
>>16949608
Employers are more likely to read a cover letter than your resume
>>
>>16949608
It doesn't matter if you find them silly if employers want them. Regardless of what most employers want, this post is clearly targetted at the few who ask for them
>>
As for the 2nd question. Maybe find a volunteering job a few times a week. (Library's, animal shelter, community center, to name a few) you can say you volunteered after graduation once you start volunteering. It looks better to be busy than to say you did nothing. :) I wish you luck. Getting a job is tough
Don't let it get you down if it takes you a while to get one.
>>
>>16947836
Most jobs I had were student assistant jobs or jobs I got through friends or coworkers.

I've applied to some of these via email and mostly wrote my experience in the field that they were looking for, gave some examples on the stuff listed on my resume and how I found the listing and why I would like to work with them.

What kind of jobs are you applying for? What field?
>>
Hi, friend. My name is Anon and I write resumes, letters of purpose, and cover letters for a living.

The cover letter serves several functions. First and foremost, it shows that you know how to put a sentence together and follow instructions. Secondly, it should highlight your understanding of the job you're applying for.

For example: if the ad says they're looking for a "leader with a great sales skills" you will want to take that hint and explain how that fits you. "While working at Target I was able to increase produce sales by 10% by training my sales staff on branding and marketing strategies". It doesn't matter if that was only a tiny portion of your job.

Use the cover letter to show that you understand what they're looking for and that you can deliver on those needs.

Open with how you found the job and some background. Center with how your experience directly relates to what they're looking for. Close with salary and reference information, if requested. End with a call to action "I look forward to hearing more about the opportunities at XYZ compay" or "Please contact me any time to schedule an interview".
>>
>>16949629
Here are two examples of jobs I am interested in:
https://www.linkedin.com/jobs2/view/108961222?trk=jobs_sj

https://www.linkedin.com/jobs2/view/113020612?trk=jobs_sj

I am applying to HR positions because I was a direct supervisor and HR coordinator for part of my college campus' safety and security operations, so i have the experience. Some of the traits they are looking for are vague, like one of the core values for one position is "irresistible". What does that even mean? How do I prove I have a "meticulous eye for detail" or "exude an air of professionalism" aside from proofreading and using a professional tone?

More importantly, how do I do that without sounding like the thousands of other cover letters with similar tones?
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.