[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Staying calm and relaxed at work?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: 0008 - iKYzROU.jpg (84 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
0008 - iKYzROU.jpg
84 KB, 800x600
I got my first job at a fast food place about 4 weeks ago and it's been pretty ok so far, but I keep fucking up and making mistakes.I feel like I'm doing pretty OK considering my previous anxieties and social issues
(I actually think I've overcome all of my social anxiety as a result of getting this job)
But I keep fucking orders up occasionally.

At the place I work, we get handed the finished burgers and a bag, and I have to put the appropriately sized bag of fries into the bag and either send it to the takeout table, or send it to the drive thru in accordance with the ticket.

Pretty much everyday I end up trying to speed through shit and skim reading it and sending it out to the wrong place atleast twice. Really damages my confidence. Plus it pisses my coworkers off.

Now not only that, but at one point one of my coworkers told me
>You always look nervous.
I didn't even know.

I feel now that about all my other mistakes are made because of me trying to speed shit out and get shit out of the way. How do I stay calm and relaxed?
>>
>>16947561
think about the fact that every time you fuck up, its not the end of the world. its your first job and its fine to fuck up. i would have a "what are they gonna do? fire me from this shitty fast food place?" mentality
>>
>I feel now that about all my other mistakes are made because of me trying to speed shit out and get shit out of the way. How do I stay calm and relaxed?
Well what about slowing down and reading the ticket? Is someone standing over your shoulder with a speed watch or something?
>>
>>16947578
I feel like I'm under pressure.
I feel like if I don't get that shit out as soon as humanly possible, people will get pissed off.

But maybe I should think of this:

What will make them more angrier - not getting the right order,

Or getting it a little bit slower?
>>
>>16947582
Good thought process. Try to do it right the first time! Accuracy > speed. If your manager starts bitching, just explain you're trying to get it right the first time. Then, once you've got a string of no mistakes... speed it up a bit.

Kind of like driving a car. You don't just hop in and slam the gas pedal down. You adjust the mirrors, get your bearings, turn it on, look around for people, then start using the gas..

You're skipping straight to the gas. Check your mirrors first!
>>
>>16947593
I feel kind of shitty though because I feel like I have already gotten my track record of being kind of unreliable to my coworkers and being incompetant.

Shit one of my coworkers said the other day
>Well, he's not that smart
And while he could have been talking about someone else I have a feeling it was me.

Also, I was cooking in the back, but I was strangely put on the front counter, and I heard that one of the other cooks complained about the new cooks being slow, and I was a new cook, so I can't help but think it was his doing that now I'm on the front counter.

Kinda hurts my confidence a bit.

Man real life is fucking hard.
>>
File: confidence.png (45 KB, 1634x401) Image search: [Google]
confidence.png
45 KB, 1634x401
>>16947787
Pay more attention and relax, you're probably fucking things up just because you're getting panicky more than anything.

Also don't give a shit about your co-workers opinions, it's a fucking fast food job. Very doubtful they have an opinion on anything worth a shit.

>Man real life is fucking hard.

You work in fast food, you have no fucking clue. Thinking you do is only going to make your life more difficult and shitty than it is.
>>
>>16947582
>What will make them more angrier - not getting the right order,
>Or getting it a little bit slower?
This anon nailed it. Like my dad always says: Do it right the first time, so you don't have to do it again.

I feel you OP, I think most people are like that with their first job, no matter what field of work. Take your time and read the ticket, and double check in the bag. It might take longer, but you'll know you're doing it right.

For me, if I'm angry for food taking long, its because I'm angry that there's a huge crowd and everyone in front of me brought their entire family for dinner that night. Therefore, I'll get my fast food after having to wait for all 20 people in front of me to get theirs first.
>>
When it comes to any job, learn to do it right the first time. With experience will come knowledge on streamlining and becoming more efficient, which then allows you to work faster.

Work smart, not hard.
>>
>>16947853
>Divorce yourself from the outcomes of everything
Won't that just make me fuck things up 90% more and get everyone extremely pissed off?
>>
>>16949362
bump?
>>
>>16947561
Hey so is anyone else extremely anxious before they go into work but fine on the job? Right now I'm sitting here, an hour away from having to go into the fast food place, and I'm fucking feeling horrible anxiety and depression at the thought of potentially fucking up again. How do I achieve this >>16947853
divorcing myself from outcomes? It sounds like the best choice but it also sounds like it will just fuck everything up more.
>>
I started working when I was 16 in the same place you're in. Remember the following
1.) Who cares if you fuck up. Mistakes happen in rushed environments. If your boss treats you like shit, tell him/her that you're still getting the hang of it.
2.) Look for other jobs while you're working. Right now, you're in the bottom rung of the working world, which is fine. You need to start somewhere. That being said, your job means absolutely nothing. If you boss threatens to fire you, tell him/her that if they don't want to teach you, they should stop wasting your time.
3.) Try to befriend coworkers. I absolutely despise talking to people while I'm on break but it doesn't hurt to not be an ass hole some times
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.