[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it possible to make a decent living in a job that makes a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 3
Thread images: 1
File: how-can-i-help.jpg (16 KB, 300x241) Image search: [Google]
how-can-i-help.jpg
16 KB, 300x241
Is it possible to make a decent living in a job that makes a positive contribution to the world?

I'm not really personable/smart/driven enough to become a business visionary or therapist or lawyer or anything. I'm pretty well built for anonymous, Sisyphean pencil pushing, I'd just like to be a cog in a machine that actually matters.
But also a machine that works - I'd prefer to treat a cause rather than a symptom, I definitely don't want to waste my life to a broken system. I'd love to be a part of inching towards a future where we can see a sustainable difference in statistics. Whether that means increasing efficiency in ethical food production, improving access to mental health care, working towards health-based breed standards in dog shows, fucking whatever.
People are always running around raising 'awareness', and then at the end it's just like "Okay... So what can I actually DO?"

Yeah yeah, 'donate', 'sign my petition,' 'raise more awareness.' idk man.
But I basically hate my job and it'd be great to replace all these wasted hours with work that isn't completely fucking useless.

I obviously need to figure out my passions and research some options from there for myself, but I'm mainly wondering if anyone has knowledge/experience (good or bad) with (seemingly) positively-impactful careers (whether you were aware/motivated by that fact or not), and could share.
I just have no solid image in my head of how I could contribute to anything as a lifestyle, just the crazy hero shit like EMTs, social workers, volunteer firefighters, etc. But I'd rather, y'know, keep all my limbs and sanity.
>>
>>16945121
Teaching
Charity administration
Social work
Government
Press
etc
etc
>>
>>16945121
Usually most of the jobs that actually "make a difference" are hard labor jobs that suck dick. However I work as an environmental field tech, which I go out to a site and environmental remediation, and find it rather enjoyable as it does make a big difference to the people that live there.

You're always going to be a cog in the machine but that doesn't mean you have to hate your job you just have to find something you're passionate about.
Thread replies: 3
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.