[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Moral dilemma at work
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: maslow_pyramid_needs.jpg (68 KB, 440x712) Image search: [Google]
maslow_pyramid_needs.jpg
68 KB, 440x712
So I work at a warehouse for xx/hr and they've hired a few new people who are really lazy and I end up pulling a lot of the slack. Well... one of the new guys walked out of the restroom and it smelled like straight dank. I have no problem with people who smoke and I know many at work who do smoke, but outside of work.

The thing is, knowing he smokes at work, if he does something stupid and accidentally hurts someone or even is just a lazy fuck for the rest of his time there, and I didn't say anything about it, aren't I enabling it? After all, in my evaluation period I wasn't smoking in the fucking bathroom... I was working my ass off.

What do?
>>
>>16944122
>Am I enabling it?
Yes, if nobody else is doing something about it, then you need to grow some balls and confront them about their bullshit. If you need them to behave in a way that is more competent, then you need to say something to them because it's obvious that they have the wrong attitude regarding their work.
>>
>>16944131

I've tried to coach the guy on the proper way to do things, but haven't brought up him smoking. I don't want to be labeled a snitch at work...
>>
>>16944122
Country and state or province would help. Rules vary depending where you live
>>
>>16944136

Oklahoma, US
>>
>>16944135
Then be assertive. "Coaching" isn't going to help an intrinsically lazy and selfish person get anything done. Do not directly threaten him, but give him the idea that if he does not change his habits soon, then they are likely to get him fired.

Don't snitch on him directly, but if there is make compaints anonymously then I would because people like this need some sort of inhibition instilled in them from outside sources in order to change their habits. However, I get the feeling that you are a moral righteous person, so I get that you might not want to do something this manipulative. In that case, you're better off taking the first route.
>>
>>16944196

I hate conflict... Would it be so bad to just tell a manager?
>>
>>16944204
Don't be a pussy. If diplomacy and tact doesn't work, then it's your last option unless you want to take this route, which I don't understand why you would even want to do.
>>
>>16944289
Sorry, I'm sort of high on promethazine and just realized how incomprehensible this post is. What I meant to say was that if diplomacy doesn't work, then your only option is to be assertive and maybe even confrontational.
>>
>>16944298

I have no problem confronting someone on this, but it seems like every time I do with one of the new people, they don't listen.

I think it would appease management if I just treated this new person as my sacrificial lamb for the slaughter.

Yes, this is how my employer works. The people that are the most ruthless are the most secure.

I do want out, but I see this as my only option.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.