[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>got a 0.13% BAC DUI >court tomorrow >no lawyer >dad
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1
File: dui.png (129 KB, 488x504) Image search: [Google]
dui.png
129 KB, 488x504
>got a 0.13% BAC DUI
>court tomorrow
>no lawyer
>dad has a letter detailing depression/ADD/suicidal tendencies for me to give to the judge
>that's it

should i plead guilty or nah?
>>
>>16943312

Can't you get a public defender?
>>
>>16943312

Probably, but this is why people have lawyers. Lawyers can get you off if the procedure was improper, .13% is pretty close (depending on the state).
>>
atleast ask for a public defender otherwise you're gonna be fucked. plead not guilty and then talk to a public defender if you can't get a lawyer. i've had 2 dui's, first one cost me about 8 grand in legal fees.
>>
>>16943345
>>16943345
"legal fees" as in lawyer fees? or without a lawyer?

if i ask for a public defender and i don't qualify then i don't know what to do. I make about 400 bucks a month and definitely can't afford a lawyer, i certainly can't afford court fees or any of that other shit either
>>
A note from daddy won't help.
>>
>>16943370
>"legal fees" as in lawyer fees? or without a lawyer?

Not him, but there are all kinds of fines they can hit you with depending on the law. I had a friend who got a DUI (for weed) and he had to pay to get his license reinstated, pay the DUI fine, spend one night in jail, buy an interlock device, pay the monthly fee for the interlock device for a year, etc.

>if i ask for a public defender and i don't qualify then i don't know what to do. I make about 400 bucks a month and definitely can't afford a lawyer, i certainly can't afford court fees or any of that other shit either

Depends on your state, but since you make so little I don't see why you couldn't get one. You'd be retarded not to try.
>>
>>16943374
i figured not but i'm gonna give it to the judge anyway. It's literally all I've got but i'm not too sure as to how to plead. I guess I'm gonna go with not guilty and ask for a PD
>>
>>16943342
>.13% is pretty close (depending on the state).

Its really not. In a .08 state its closer to twice the legal limit than is is to under the legal limit. Even in a .10 state, its far enough over that a lot of judges aren't going to give a shit about mitigation. OP is also running the risk of a judge deciding he was putting others in danger with reckless/suicidal behavior.

OP, get a lawyer. Their job is to understand not only the law but the judge you pull and to adapt.
>>
>>16943390
solid advice but I can't afford one ;__;
>>
>>16943370
>i certainly can't afford court fees or any of that other shit either

Then my advice is to prepare for lockup. If you don't pay the court what you're told they're eventually going to put out a warrant for you.
>>
>>16943396
Then get a public defender and hope. Its literally your only option. This isn't like the 70s and 80s when DUI was a slap on the wrist. Losing a DUI case in Illinois averages something like ten grand.
>>
>>16943312
Yeah man that letter stating you're depressed or whatever sure would have made up for the person you hit while you were drunk.

You drove drunk, got caught, and now you're fucked. Take your lumps like you deserve.
>>
>>16943416
i mean i do honestly feel guilty about that, not like it'll mean anything to the judge. but i was hardly far from home and i even passed that stupid fuckening FST lol
>>
>>16943425
>but i was hardly far from home
Doesn't matter.
> i even passed that stupid fuckening FST
Doesn't matter.

This isn't a pity party. Boo hoo, you're broke, depressed, and stupid. Drink at home next time.
>>
>>16943433
i'm aware of all these things pal, i'm just wondering about the plea and I've got my answer
>>
>>16943312
I'm a mental health case manager. What that means is that I deal with lots of people who tend to be in similar scenarios to yours.

Here's my advice: You NEED to get a public defender. Call up your public defender's office and demand to have one.

Also, letter from daddy will do absolutely nothing. You don't know how many people try that shit. You'll just be "another one". Do you utilize any services that help you with your mental health? If you have EVER seen a counselor, shrink, case manager, crazy voodoo witchdoctor, any professional will be able to give you a letter detailing their aid. That letter would go a LONG way, where as letter from daddy won't.

Anyway good luck amigo. Nice job asking for advice the day before btw.
>>
>>16943441
well the letter details about how i was uninsured until a month ago (just before i got the DUI) and that without any photo ID of any kind I actually can't see a psychiatrist/therapist/whatever. It's basically asking for specific driving privileges like going to work and seeing the doctor and such. I've heard of other people getting limited privileges like that back after a month or so
>>
>>16943439
Catty.
>>
>>16943459

I personally would not present the letter unless and until you speak with a public defender.
>>
>>16943473
yeah i'm just gonna save it for later. thanks
>>
>>16943489
also should i ask the judge for a public defender? or do i have to call someone prior
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.