[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I take myself more seriously while I'm at community
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 3
File: Alembert.jpg (193 KB, 512x640) Image search: [Google]
Alembert.jpg
193 KB, 512x640
How do I take myself more seriously while I'm at community college?

Some background: I finished high school in the top 20% of my class (3.7 GPA), I made Eagle in the Boy Scouts, scored 30 on the ACT, and kept up with my hobbies on the side (rock climbing and running mostly).

I started feeling really insecure about college (I chose a state school FAR out of state) just because of a lot of "crash and burn" stories, and sure enough that became a self fulfilling prophecy and after 2.5 years at that school I realized I was wasting too much time, money and reputation because I was failing class after class after class. In that period, there were a few times where I hit it out of the park, but for the most part I was horribly depressed and lonely to the point where I couldn't bother attending class or doing homework.

In December I moved back in with my parents and started community college, and I've been doing MUCH better. I'm probably making straight As this semester and I have a part time gig set up at a really great employer starting soon. I'm also not depressed anymore, without any prozac or therapy.

However, I still have this huge block from taking myself seriously. Some day I'd like to be a researcher (probably a planetary scientist, but I'm not married to any single idea), and I just have this notion of "scientists and smart people don't flunk out of school or attend community colleges."

How the hell do I stop myself from thinking like that?
>>
>community college
>taking it seriously
It's like high school 2.0, Anon. At some point you're going to have to be able to succeed at a big boy school.
>>
>>16942177
I'm fully aware.

That's kinda the problem, I feel trapped here and I don't want to turn into one of those directionless community college people. I also have this fear that by being there I've reduced myself to doing nothing better than some dead end engineering job designing air conditioning units for the rest of my life just because of some bad choices I made in my late teens/early twenties.
>>
File: 798.png (306 KB, 593x540) Image search: [Google]
798.png
306 KB, 593x540
>>16942194
Quit crying like a bitch, OP.

Literally all you need to do is do well in CC and then transfer to a big boy school and do well there also. It's not rocket science.
>>
I finished with a 3.0 GPA and still was in the top 30% of my class. My school sucked.
>>
>>16942277
>My school sucked.
On the other hand, it could have actually been the opposite. Perhaps your school was excellent and had high standards, resulting in less students with a higher GPA.

In any case, isn't a 3.0 a B? That's not so bad for the top 30%. Although, in high school, a B isn't all that great.
>>
File: untitled_153.png (273 KB, 290x350) Image search: [Google]
untitled_153.png
273 KB, 290x350
ALEMBERT!
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.