[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
> First time posting > 22 > English Major > About
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
> First time posting
> 22
> English Major
> About 3 years of Media experience (News/Radio)
> Graduating this fall (provided I don't fuck up, which I won't)
> Would rather not be a teacher but will suck it up if it'll pay the bills
> Possibly going to apply for graduate school but not before (hopefully) finding work

I'm familiar with and can handle anxiety for the future for the most part. Anyway I'm just curious about how some of you have dealt with life after college? What was it like finding/not finding a job? What can I expect?

If there are any ENG majors out there your input would be appreciated too.
>>
Look into the AmeriCorps, Peace Corps and other government jobs. Did you take out any student loans or do you have any debts that you need to take care of?

Also, military. Air Force or National Guard. I would consider these.
>>
I will have no debt when I graduate and would rather not have to work for the military but I've heard government work as an option too.
>>
>>16941055

I'm joining the Peace Corps and I am in the same position as you. I would gain experience doing what you want to through one of these outlets.

If you aren't down with the military morally (which I am not either), I would apply to AmeriCorps NCCC, FEMA Corps, Conservation Corps and if you want to travel, Peace Corps.

I went into school knowing that my major would not make me a lot of money. But I also have a lot of freedom to do what I want to do. Use your resources at your school (job fairs, internships, etc).

I'm going to say it before a STEM major pops up here, but it doesn't matter what you studied. It matters how resourceful you choose to be. STEM majors are spoon-fed everything and told there is one solution to every problem. So definitely use the skills you learned as an English major to do the things you want to do.
>>
>>16941074
With true sincerity, thank you. I'll definitely look into those organizations you mentioned. Hope everything goes well for you. Best of luck and thanks again.
>>
>>16941029
media
technical writing
advertising
public relations
politics
government
etc
etc
etc
>>
>>16941074
The STEM hate has started and none of us have even turned up yet, I bathe in your tears.
>>
I kind of want to work toward an English degree cause I want to work in publishing.

But I also read you don't necessarily need a degree for that.

The dumb thing about me though is I'm 24, I have 6 years total in the Army, I have an EMT and originally was going to be medical but I finally did a 180 and realize I didn't want to do that.
>>
>>16941029
>> About 3 years of Media experience (News/Radio)
What's it like to work in the media? Can someone with social anxiety work in it?
Iam first year english, and this ways has been always troubling me.
>>
>>16941937
You can definitely work in it. You would probably be doing something like opinions or entertainment (album reviews for example). You could even do radio if you can get comfortable speaking into a mic and answering a call which is rare.
>>
>>16941937
And for what's it like. Well in my experience it's been great. Also in regards to anxiety, i didn't HAVE to socialize with other employees but it's something that happens naturally. I'm well liked there. You'd probably pick up a friend or two working in radio. Less likely on a newspaper. The environment is so stiff IMO.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.