[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you believe everyone has a true passion? That is, a field
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2
File: e.jpg (95 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
e.jpg
95 KB, 600x450
Do you believe everyone has a true passion? That is, a field of study/hobby that inspires someone to push the boundaries of what is known and be the best he or she can be?

I have not really felt like this about anything, and I am wondering if this is because not everyone feels as connected with things or I just haven't found it yet. I'm sure part of this is incredible discipline and focus, but is there a way to cultivate such a mentality?
>>
>>16940323
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NPKcVFVZu8
>>
>>16940323
I'm interested in this too. I have the same problem.
>>
>>16940323

No. God damn it, not everyone has a special "calling" to be an artist or genius or something, and we need to stop telling our kids that they're all supposed to. We need fucking workers. We need people who will work hard for a larger goal, cops that aren't crazy, firemen, farmers, etc etc. Not a nation of useless fame-obsessed YouTube personalities.

Stop being ashamed of being a normal person. You're fine. You'll be much happier if you don't define yourself by your career. Get the best-paying job you can find and start a family.
>>
>>16940339
There's not much use for workers if there is no work.

Your quaker derived way of thinking about work is outdated. Universal income is what we need.
>>
No,passion comes with time with the fancies you harvest now.I know I could become good at many things but only great in the ones Iv have become, meaning forget about this word "passion" and go explore something,many things....
>>
>>16940350
Universal income? I have no clue what that means.....I'm guessing it's something like a participation trophy. Ridiculous.
>>
>>16940339
There are those people who aren't quick to jump into that safety net called family anon,there's others routes to take and just grabbing the besting thing within arms reach is cowardice.
>>
>>16940375
Any recommendations for how to explore different passions? I know this is what I need to do, but everyone says this and I'm not exactly sure how people go about it when they have an 8-5 job they dislike.
>>
File: tumblr_o1zer9HEv21v0pigno1_500.jpg (45 KB, 409x409) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o1zer9HEv21v0pigno1_500.jpg
45 KB, 409x409
>>16940383
not everyone is built to be a wagecuck, it's sunday tho, tick tock better get to sleep wagecuck.

i mean, i'm on ssi benefits but i want to extend a hand to people such as yourself :^)
>>
>>16940410
Go play around with something new every chance you get for abit,it's that simple and if something starches you the right way keep that in mind move to the next one,get afew and go back to the ones you did before and pick the ones you like to do the most.

It all starts with play.
>>
>>16940383
The more automation replaces basic grunt work, which has comprised 85% or more of jobs for basically all of history, the more and more idle population we have.
Not everybody is cut out for higher education work, and even if everybody were the number of jobs for that sort of thing simply don't exist.

The idle population has to be taken care of somehow at some point.
>>
>>16940425
and odds are you can probably turn afew of those into money if enough time is put in.
>>
I'm glad you mentioned it OP. You aren't alone. Its a symptom of BPD among other things but that's neither here nor there. There is many careers available that don't focus on a passion. Otherwise get a job that simply fulfills one of your needs. Be a cook and never pay for food again until you find what your passion is. Get into real estate so you can travel try new things and experience having an edge over others as far as having a nicer home. Consider getting a liberal arts degree. Don't force yourself in any way
>>
>>16940432
The idle population should be culled.
>>
>>16940432
>Not everybody is cut out for higher education work

Why not? Seriously why not?

If you have time to be idle you have time to read a research paper.

If you're not going to contribute there's no place for you in society.
>>
>>16940587
not who you're responding to, just curious. what would happen if most of society becomes idle because of specialization? would you oust them or become the ousted?
>>
I'm actually one of those people where I'm not really amazing at anything. It kind of sucks and I feel a bit empty and lost most of the time.
>>
>>16941373
There's plenty of things left to do to improve the world even if you automate all the existing the jobs
>>
OP you're smarter than most for asking this question. A whole lot of people think they know what they want to do, and waste years trying to do something they can't.
But you're just as mistake to think that you can find passion before you meet your true love.
Take all your basic classes first, before you choose what you want to do next. Doors will open as you go. Choose to go through them or not, that's up to you. You won't find them standing still, they don't come to you.
>>
>>16940323
>Do you believe everyone has a true passion

Most of the cases I've seen "true" passion came after certain level of capability is reached.
Initially the influence came from outside, your teacher, your parent, your favorite movie character, etc. The resulting interest combines with your disposition lead to improved capability, then mastery, then in many case passion.
You are at that initial stage where the interest hasn't fully formed yet, you have to find out by trial and error like most people I guess.
>>
OP, you can't just expect your 'calling' to fall into your lap one day.
Most people find their passion by trying things until they find something that they feel rewarded doing.
It might take a couple of years, but you need to try. I don't mean watch videos on it or anything, I mean actually try something for a couple months until you decide whether or not you enjoy it.
Passion is acquired, not found.
>>
>>16940323
>Do you believe everyone has a true passion
No after going on 4chan. It's not like shitposting no an imageboard and being neets are "passions".
>>
I don't think people have "true passions" or "soulmates", this is reality and there's no magic here. It's just a mix up of cause and effect.
>>
>>16940323
No. Being passionate about something isn't guaranteed. You have to make an effort, you don't get a freebie.

See also: relationships
>>
Currently about to drop University somewhat relating to this whole thing. I'm not saying I'm dropping out of my course because "it's not my true calling."

But I've gone straight from high school to University without experiencing what it's like to just be your 'average Joe' living by myself. Working 4 - 5 days a week, 8 hour days, okay salary, enough to get by with a little spending/saving; which in reality is all I want.

I don't need some big flashy job, and I don't guarantee getting a degree, (a piece of paper that says "Hey I did it") really helps that much anyway. I mean of course a degree looks good, but if you could demonstrate the exact same skills the guy with the piece of paper has, and be able to say you taught yourself all of it in your spare time or it was a hobby, a passion (I think) an employer would be more inclined to go for you over the piece of paper guy. It shows you have self discipline, work efficiently, commitment, can adapt to things that come around and still stay consistent, etc, etc.

Not saying doing any of that is easy in any way (hence why I believe it's more respected by employers) but if you're working some average job and working on something you're somewhat interested in on the side, then if you do even an okay job it's inevitable that you'll improve your employability, (and maybe even find your passion) along the way.

My idea is to try find a decent job for a moderately intelligent high school graduate and then while I'm finally living life for myself (not doing things because it makes other people happy), hopefully I can find something on the side that I can turn into 'my passion.'

If only getting an okay job and paying for living expenses in fucking Western Australia was as easy as that. Fuck you dependent economy, depleting resources, lack of industry (as a result job variety/availability), $ of living,etc

If you made it this far into my rant/answer/self justification to drop out of University, care to leave some feedback?
>>
>>16941858
Finish university. You can be an average Joe after you graduate.
>>
>>16941867
I honestly can't be fucked though. My WHOLE life has been stressing over study and school of some sort, no exaggeration; it literally has.

At least if I work some average job I can separate work/home a lot more and not have them mix in one big fucking stressful mess. You work, you do okay, you get paid okay, you go home okay.

It's easy to sort of say "Finish University" without really comprehending the 1000 days you invest into it, the money you put into it, the shit you go through while you're there.

If I end up back at University then fine, great. At least I can say that I gave something else a shot before I invest so much energy into something that qualifies you for one specific thing.

I want to experience what life has to offer a bit more. Life has been study, come home, study some more, do nothing else productive, rinse and repeat. Eighteen years old and I can't say I've had a girlfriend, or even a girl over for that matter, haven't travelled further north than two hours, haven't traveled further south than 5 hours, east and west - less than an hour, the list goes on.

Not saying that dropping University will get me any closer to these things but I need some sort of independence. I need to be able to blame myself for the lack of these things and not my living situation, excuses, excuses.

If it even gives me the slightest chance at being a bit more happy I'd rather that than miserable for three trips around the Sun.
>>
>>16941902
You seem to have made up your mind already, he gave some feedback and you said no. So. There you have it.
>>
I have the kind of passion you're talking about, for animal shelter welfare. I'm studying to be a CVT and animal behaviorist to help develop behavior modification programs and protocols for overcrowded municipal shelters to lower the stress of the animals there and make them more "adoptable" to the public, as well as resources for spay/neuter to low income individuals. I've known I've wanted to do this since I was 17

however, many people don't have that kind of passion for something. hell, I'd say most people don't. and that's perfectly fine. there's no shame in getting the best job you can to feed and fund your family. you can't force passion, you'll just end up horribly unhappy. and your passion doesn't have to be your job you know, some people just can't get a job in the subject they're passionate about, that's fine too
>>
>>16941915
I may have made up my mind already; quite obvious I guess.

However, I was trying to give some justification behind my decision in hopes maybe you/he would give some justification around yours/his.

The majority of happy, successful people I've seen haven't gone to University, or are in an occupation that depends only on that degree. They are just doing the things they want to do without having to worry (too much) about money.

All I really want to do is be happy and by that logic I'd be happy with any amount of money that lets me live semi-comfortably in my own home. A degree of course would only make that better but if the goal is to be happy I'd rather be generally happy working on being even more happy than pretty miserable working on being (maybe) pretty happy.

Not sure if this all makes much sense (especially with someone that maybe has a lot more hindsight than me at the moment), but it makes sense to me at the moment and seems like an okay decision.
>>
>>16941933
You've already begun university. You should finish it.

If you want a girlfriend or to travel do that shit too. University isn't what is stopping you there.

But that's the opposite of what you've said previously. You've mentioned working an ok job and making ok money, it sounds like you don't want to experience life at all.

Whatever dude, you are young. You can afford to fuck up a bit and figure shit out.
>>
>>16941971
Only 4 weeks into my first year.

Occupying all my time kind of does make it a little to blame.

Working an okay job for okay money is just so I can get setup and actually START living, for myself, independently. Plus, there's plenty of people who don't make exorbitant amounts of money yet still experience life.

Dropping out of University doesn't spell 'fucking up' to me (maybe if you're half way+ through). Worse that can happen is I realise I've made a mistake and I end up in the same place at a later time. Best that could happen, develop initiative, build something of my own, become a tad more interesting, learn something I've always wanted to, find my true passion, meet someone who has a perfect job opportunity for me, does something it happens I'm super interested in. As you said none of this is imperative of going to University but (in my mind at least) it would give me the spark and the push I need to actually attempt to make some of these changes.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.