[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Starting conversations with strangers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 2
File: I0yH6wr.jpg (694 KB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
I0yH6wr.jpg
694 KB, 4032x3024
So I've spent the last few years working 60+ hours a week, but I made the decision to go back to college and finish a 4 year.
I'm not significantly older than my peers, and were I a senior we'd be equal ages (23-ish), so it's not like I'm a balding middle aged man trying to meet people on campus.

But here's the problem: I don't know how to start conversations. Every conversation I've had in the last 4 years has been purely transactional. "Hey we need this done" or "Hey I need you to help with that" or whatever. I have no idea how to just start friendly conversation with somebody next to me.
Why would I bug them? The teacher is lecturing. They're on their phone. They have earbuds in or are working on a paper or fucking whatever. It just seems so rude to me to interrupt them.

And even if I were to do so, then what? I have nothing to really discuss. I don't know the person, what the fuck is there to say?
>>
File: oXizx8c.gif (1023 KB, 391x238) Image search: [Google]
oXizx8c.gif
1023 KB, 391x238
>>16937454

I have a similar problem too, but I'm a few years older than you and back in school for my master's

I guess as you grow older, it steadily gets harder and harder to make friends. I always found it easy to socialize and make friends online when playing the vidya, but I've quit it a few months back

DESU, if you didn't socialize much outside of work, then don't expect things to happen automatically unless you make some changes in your life routine. College isn't high school meaning it's not as natural to make friends

Sadly, once you graduate and go out into the real world, I get a lot of threads in my city's subreddit about lonely single men in their 30s. People always suggest meetups, but I found them to be lame and forced. It's just not natural to make new friends as you grow older. It's sad but what I've observed
>>
>>16937454
Look around you. College isn't for 18 year olds anymore, and it is likely that 25-50% of the student body is your age or older. Start looking and you'll notice them everywhere. They're in the same boat as you and will be eager to connect with others.

Hint: most live off-campus or are part-times, so a good place to look is the snackbar or cafeteria around dinnertime, as they're between or before classes. Just get a cup of coffee and sit down near somebody your age and say hello.
>>
>>16937482
Some real downbeat advice.
Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.