[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What can I do to help my sister, /adv/? Everyone in my family
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 3
Thread images: 1
What can I do to help my sister, /adv/?

Everyone in my family has anxiety problems. My mom did, I did, my little sister does too. Panic attacks in public, bouts of agoraphobia, lack of ability to function in a social setting without bursting into treats. My mom has been trying out different meds for most of her life, but never liked any, so she chain smokes and that seems to help her. I tried a few when I was a teenager, notably Paxil, and hated how it made me feel, so I vowed to work through it otherwise (and I did, and function pretty much normally now).

My little sister took meds for it for several years growing up, but in adulthood seems to have decided she wants to cold turkey like my mom and I. She "self-medicates" with weed, but it's only made her paranoid and more or less batshit. She had to be institutionalized for two weeks when she came across country to visit, after some kind of psychotic break (one of her beliefs was that everyone was "forcing" her to take medication to make her "forget" and now "she knows"). Now she's thinking of getting on disability instead of going ahead with the college plans to be a mortician that she was so set in during high school. She's 19 right now, so she has plenty of time to get back on track.

I don't want my sister to be a NEET, /adv/. She's heading the way of the welfare queen like our older two sisters. If she gets used to something for nothing, I don't feel like she'll ever achieve what she used to want.

Is there any way to convince someone out of the NEET lifestyle? Are there any NEETs here that wish someone had said something, or done something, that might have put them off that track? What can I do to be a good older sibling in this situation? I don't want her to turn out like our shitty older sisters. I wanted her to be someone I could brag about, who I could send my kids over to her house to play, who could go travelling with me, where in old age we'd laughingly compete about whose grandkids are best.
>>
Suggest to her that she go on disability and do one class at a time. She might start to like the school work and do more of it. Being NEET becomes very boring quickly.
>>
>>16934963
I'm not sure if she can do both, since she'd have to be in campus housing to go to the college, and not continue living with the lady she's staying with. I guess it depends on how much she ends up getting. When I initiate contact with her again, I'll definitely be researching what's available for her with college. She hasn't even filled out the FAFSA yet, though.

She enjoyed school in high school, even took a few AP classes. Unfortunately she bombed the ACT with a 17 from not trying. I imagine her options are few now.
Thread replies: 3
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.