[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
hey /adv/, I've got a bit of a problem. I'm nineteen
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: the end.jpg (117 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
the end.jpg
117 KB, 1024x768
hey /adv/, I've got a bit of a problem.
I'm nineteen and currently living with my parents while I study at the local junior college. I have some worries about my mental health.

My mother is under a huge amount of stress (my father just got a DUI and totaled our car) and is dealing with other incredibly difficult family issues (my sister is very taxing on the family and her mother is struggling with dementia). My father and I have a weird relationship and never talk, so I'd really prefer not to approach him either.

Is there a way for me to ask for therapy sessions? I don't want to stress out my mother, and I'm almost certain she will feel like she has to walk on eggshells whenever we interact if she finds out that I might be mentally ill. She probably would never treat me exactly the same.

I also have no idea when I could fit the therapy sessions into my schedule, I'm taking full days of classes from Monday-Friday and I think that denying myself free time would only worsen my mental health.
>>
Does your college not have a counsellor or therapist?
>>
>>16933674
I believe it does, but my schedule is nigh-identical to a few of my friends. Neither of them know that I fear for my mental health either. I can't really go to the campus therapist without them wondering why I'm not taking the bus home with them.
>>
>>16933679
You should feel comfortable mentioning this to your friends. People don't just go to counsellors and therapists for mental health issues anyway, you could just tell them you're feeling stressed with school work (and perhaps mention your family situation too)
>>
>>16933690
I'm not comfortable with telling them, though. I've never really had problems like this before and I've kind of been the only one in my group of friends who never has issues (no cheating GF, no traumatic events I ever spoke of etc). I seem to have built up a sort of invincible appearance with them and I mostly laugh things off anyway. If they found out I was going to a councilor they would think something is seriously wrong and terrible, and they'll probably treat me even stranger than my own mother would.
>>
>>16933703

How often do you think you'd be going to sessions? Would you be comfortable just lying that you're going somewhere else?
>Oh no bus for me, I've decided to walk home once a week for my health, smell the roses and all that, I'll see you guys later.
>>
>>16933720
I'd like to go to the sessions essentially as often as possible. I've had serious problems throughout my entire life and have never ONCE vented about any of them.

They won't really buy the whole bus thing, either. The school is about 16 miles away from my house.
>>
>>16933703
No one's perfect, Anon. They know you're not invincible and they won't treat you as weird, I promise. Everyone has issues now and then, if they're not understanding then they're not the sort of people you should want to be friends with in the first place.

If you're looking for excuses, tell them you're meeting a girl or something
>>
People don't go to therapists for mental illness only. You could tell your mother/friends that you just want some guidance and think you might learn something useful. Another excuse you could use would be to say you're going to the library to study because it's noisy at home (hopefully they don't decide to join you). If things are very bad, you could consider dropping one class to have an open day for therapy. Some offices are open on Saturdays, but you'd have to search for that.
>>
>>16933743
Them expressing concern for me is really enough of a weird treatment to be honest.

>>16933729
I suppose you're right, but I think they will see through it completely.
>>
File: tumblr_o31hqlzzT91tebq9go1_1280.jpg (100 KB, 800x670) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o31hqlzzT91tebq9go1_1280.jpg
100 KB, 800x670
>>16933805
These replies were swapped. Sorry
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.