[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I think a good friend of mine has finally just snapped. Me, his
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: 11111.jpg (37 KB, 399x400) Image search: [Google]
11111.jpg
37 KB, 399x400
I think a good friend of mine has finally just snapped. Me, his other friends and his girlfriend don't know what to do about him now. How do you convince someone to get help when all they seem to want to do is destroy themselves.
>>
>caring for anyone but blood family

you don't. let him do what he wants.
>>
>>16932920
I would rather not see another friend of mine self destruct.
>>
Specifically what are they doing? Drug abuse? Suicidal?
>>
>>16932940
hes always seemed to bounce from suicidal to less suicidal, he also is off and on with heavy drinking... but after he lost his latest job hes just kind of gone off his rocker, disappears for a day or two, driving around randomly, has become very dickish and angry... hes very blunt, and has done a complete 180 from the super nice guy everyone knows him as... hes become a gigantic prick and is doing risky ass things he didn't used to do... hes stolen shit from stores, threatened to beat the shit out of people... hes been spending the last of his money on fast food and really stupid shit, he hasn't been taking care of his dental surgery wounds and they have become infected... all these changes with him seemed to happen overnight, he apparently crashed a couple of parties he just found while driving around, hes been mixing alcohol and painkillers... and thats only the stuff I know.
>>
>>16932916
>How do you convince someone to get help when all they seem to want to do is destroy themselves.
Is he about to hurt himself or someone else? If so, then you don't try to convince him; you go to the police.

Is he going to do something that is likely to severely fuck up his life, and he refuses to listen to reason? If so, then you don't try to convince him: you keep a respectful distance, allow him to hit rock bottom if he goes that far, and then offer to help him get some help. Perhaps he will be more receptive then.

The bottom line is that you cannot help someone who doesn't want to be helped. It is unfortunate, but some people have to be allowed to hit rock bottom before they're ready to accept accept help and or turn around. Stay poised to swoop in and offer whatever aid you can, hopefully before he hits, but you may not be able to avoid that. Until then, keeping the watch is all you can do.
>>
>>16932954
Ouch; ninja'd.

We are not qualified to diagnose, but this sounds like it could be a psychotic break. I'm not sure what the protocol for dealing with that is -to some extent it depends on jurisdiction- but you could call the police on the non-emergency number to find out.
>>
>>16932975
I'm afraid what the police will do to him, he isn't white, and right now has a lot of pirated stuff on his computer and a lot of weed. Suicide hotlines just give me the same shit about taking him to see a therapist but he refuses...
>>
If you think he's at all suicidal, call the authorities. Seriously.

Note that there's a good chance he will hate you for this.

>>16932978
>white
Doctors don't give a shit about that.
>pirated stuff on his computer
Cops don't care about that.
>weed
That's a problem, but if he kills himself that will become irrelevant.
>>
I am having the same problem with my sister in law. She is like 24 and she has always been a partier and a floater, but since her brother died in January she had just kind of lost it. She has two sisters and two brother left, they all took it hard, but she was closest to him, and add to the fact that she has zero stability, she got in an accident and arrested for DUI last night. (Guess how her brother died) cops thought she was suicidal, but let her go anyway. She has a room at her older sisters, but does everything she can to catch rides to stay at whoevers house. No steady boyfriend, we think she stopped going to work, and the car, whichisnow impounded she had only recently got working. She's never had a working car longer than 3 weeks in her life, only got h era license last year.
Right now I am just pissed. I payed for her brothers whole funeral and I will not pay for hers. She has 3 nephews and two nieces who adore her, not to mention the rest of her siblings.

They're going to try and get her to go to a crisis center tomorrow, but I don't have a lot of hope. She needs to get hew whole life together, and she put it off and put it off.. Almost joined the army once, but with that DUI it will never happen now. I swear to god if she kills herself the fucking state can bury her.
>>
I'd be the one you guys are trying to fix i say just lets burn out
>>
Do some googling and see if you can get him committed, sounds like he's gone off his rocker.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.