[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just got a new job. I'm a highschool senior so I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
I just got a new job. I'm a highschool senior so I'm still going to school, getting up at 5:00 and all that, eight hours a day.

I put in on the application that I'm still in school and can work at most 25 hours a week.
I was expecting to work a few weekdays and the weekend.

I open up my schedule for my first actual week and I get pic related.

40 hours in one week, closing every night during the week, on top of school (which again, I need to get up at 5:00) for.

when it comes to shit like this, I'm very inexperienced. Idon't know what to do, I know it looks very very bad to complain to your boss, especially about hours, but I don't think I can handle this workload.
>>
>>16931848
You might want to mention that school comes before work. If the schedule has you getting six hours of sleep a night max, that's going to hurt your grades. Most likely this is just a listing of hours you can work, not hours you have to work.
>>
>>16931895
Yeah that's fucking hell for a high school senior. Best to cut those hours....
>>
>>16931848
Publix?
If so, then you are in the clear since Publix knows that school comes before work.
Just let them know that you're still in school and they'll change your schedule quick. Also, change your availability so this doesn't happen again.
I know because I used to work at Pooblay for five years. Good company.
>>
>>16931848
didn't you tell in your application that you can work at most 25 hours? because if you made it clear that you were only looking for a part time job (which should've been obvious anyway) then call your boss and tell him there was a misunderstanding. this is not complaining. he will not think you're asking to work less hours because you're lazy or sth lol
It was probably just a misunderstanding. But call him as soon as possible so there is enough time to fix the schedule beforehand.
>>
>>16931848
At worst you are in bed by 11:30 assuming no crazy commute. Leave exactly when you shift is done. It will be rough, but you can do an easy job on 5.5 hours of sleep.
>>
It's not bad to discuss your hours with your boss. Who told you that crap?

If you ever have a boss that gets shitty when you 'complain about your hours' then you should just walk out immediately. It shows a fundamental lack of respect for their employees and is an enormous red flag.
>>
oops I had auto-update off sorry

>>16931925
Yeah, it's publix. I love the job so far, but I couldn't pull this off without burning out in a few weeks

the thing is, I put on my application I AM available every day of the week (5-11 on weekdays)
I was hoping they would schedule it around the 25 hours, not just throw that out the window and make me work that every day.

>>16931932
I'd be fine with closing at 11:00 like twice or three times a week. But 5 days in a row? There's no way

>>16931939
My parents and various websites on the internet have all said "blah blah take your hours be as available as possible and be glad you have the job"

I also don't want to be "that employee" who's always bitching, being a PITA, and making more work than necessary for the manager
>>
>>16931932
>Leave exactly when you shift is done.
Someone has never done closing before. This isn't how it works.

OP, whoever made your schedule probably doesn't realize you're still in school. Doesn't matter how obvious you made it in your application. Just get in touch with your boss or whoever and politely let them know you're still in school so you can't take on a full time job. This is considered communication, not complaining.

Listen to this anon >>16931925

>>16931939
>My parents and various websites on the internet have all said "blah blah take your hours be as available as possible and be glad you have the job"

If you're scraping bottom, that's an understandable outlook. However, as someone in school, that mindset doesn't work. It's also a poor career mindset and will get you stuck in a bad job.

Also, there's a big difference between being that bitchy, needy, PITA employee and letting your boss/employer know your boundaries. Despite your attitude, you can quickly become that awful employee if you don't set expectations and boundaries upfront. Communicate with your boss/employer and let them know the schedule isn't what you expected.
>>
>>16932171
I'm honestly just really afraid they're gonna put me on the chopping block.
If you don't know, Publix is a primarily Floridian grocery store and it's the height of tourist season so I think that's why they gave me so many hours
by asking for a reduction in hours doesn't that pretty much make me worthless to them?
>>
>>16932397
It might do, but you can't be expected to work these hours otherwise you'll be learning a very quick hard lesson in fatigue management.

If you're OK doing these hours for the first week then do them. Like everyone else has said though contact the HR/boss and let them know you cannot to more than 25 hrs (as stated on your application). I had the same issue in highschool working for Maccas (said I wanted to do 15 hrs, got 40), when I tried talking to the boss about it he got mad "this is what the business needs" "you need to make yourself available, this is what the real world is like" etc. I quit after 13 weeks because it affected my schooling badly.
>>
How old are you? Cause you could cry minor. There might still even be a whatever against someone in high school working that late or that many hours.

At least where I worked at, fuck when I was 16 I worked 40 hours a week but I did it to myself, I was the late server every night and was the 2 am server on the weekends.

The place apparently watches the minors hours a lot more now because I'm a complete loser and still work there.
>>
Tell your boss (politely) to get fucked.

Remind him/her that you discussed your availability with them at the interview and your hours will not extend beyond that or you'll be finding other work.

If I were you I'd offer to take the Saturday and Sunday shifts but insist that you're not available for the rest of the week.

>>16931939
This. If anyone's given you advice to the contrary, they are wrong. You are not at the mercy of other people, do not act like you are.

Anyone telling you to lose sleep for a 2-cent grocery store job is an idiot.
>>
I'm confused. When I worked in high school there were laws about how late someone, regardless of age, could work on a week night while still attending school. Like no later than 9 or 10 pm on school nights if I remember correctly. 11 pm was definitely not on the table. Is that not a thing? Possibly state specific I suppose.
>>
>>16931848
OP, any boss with two brain cells to rub together would rather have you working the hours you're reasonably able to work, than have you burn out and have to replace you in a few weeks or months. Recruiting and training new staff is expensive.
>>
>>16932573
>how old are you?
nice try sneaky mod ;)
for real though, I'm 18, so it's all technically legal.

>>16932592
The 2 cent job is paying me $9 an hour. I want to stay but fuck me if I can do all of those hours in the first place

I think I'll talk to my manager tomorrow about it. If it's only like two weeks until tourist season is over then whatever. If not I'll just tell him to cut my hours period.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.