[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
To make everything short. Basically, I'm a student and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 3
To make everything short.

Basically, I'm a student and yesterday was my first day at pizzeria. They were trying out me out to see if they'll hire me. I had to help in kitchen and do some deliveries.

The first delivery went okay, but at the second delivery I crashed the car into the other car in front of me. We stopped with the guy and there was no major harm to his car, he said he won't call the police. My car was destroyed from the front tho. Lights, cooler everything went to shit. It was still driving tho, it's a cheaper car costing 500$ at most. I thanked the guy and called the boss and asked me what will I do. I said I will deliver pizza and come back.

I was under so much stress, but somehow I came back. Nobody said anything to me, but I could feel everyone was mad. I was really sorry and wanted to talk to the boss and he said that he has a lot of work to do and doesn't have time right now. Later he called me to talk and he said that he's on the verge of crying and that it is the one of only 2 working cars. I said that I will pay off everything. He said that the problem is that they have only one car right now. He asked me what is my plan. I said that I'm really sorry and if they somehow hire me I will work to pay off that damage. If they don't, I will still somehow pay off it, but it will take a longer time, because I'm broke.

The car is cheap so it will maybe even be better to buy a new car than repair this one.

Today I have a meeting with another boss and the boss I talked to yesterday. I'm completely down and have no idea what to do.
>>
>>16930346
Bump
>>
File: 20090402A_A5a_NA_PA.png (496 KB, 2445x3195) Image search: [Google]
20090402A_A5a_NA_PA.png
496 KB, 2445x3195
>>16930346

if I am reading this correctly, you were not under contract/employment at the time you were driving and therefore I would assume that you cannot be held liable for any damages.

Don't automatically assume that you are liable for the damages. If they give you a bill for the damages I would try to get a free consultation with a lawyer to determine whether they even have the right to do that.

Now, assuming you actually still want this job it may be a necessary act of good-faith on your part to agree to cover the costs or part of the costs, but that is contingent on them hiring you of course.
>>
>>16930369

Its true, but im not douchebag. I fucked up and i will pay for it. Besides my friend works there and he suggested me and if i try to avoid paying they will pressure him.
>>
>>16930382
Don't pay. They should have insurance as a business to deal with these risks. If they didn't have insurance it is their own fault and if they do have insurance the insurance company will deal with it.

They cannot make your friend pay, he is in no way liable for these damages.
>>
>>16930391

If you don't report an accident to insurance they can't pay out.

It sounds like neither OP nor his employer reported it to police or insurance.

But I agree with you that this is entirely the companies responsibility and OP shouldn't get pressured into paying for it.
>>
>>16930369
>>16930391
What in the world are you talking about? Just because he wasn't an employee doesn't mean that he isn't liable. Don't assume that insurance will cover the damage, insurance companies hate paying out and will do anything to get away with not doing so, including going after the person who was at fault. You know, OP.
>>
>>16930391

They dont have an insurance because they buy cheap ass cars. Today they will probably give me an option to work, earn that money and pay or not work and pay on my own. What to choose? I dont think ill ever be liked at work after this, i could probably lend money from the parents and pay that way.
>>
>>16930396

1. OP doesn't own the car
2. OP isn't insured under the car
3. OP has no legal obligation to the company
4. OP was freely given the car to drive by the company

If you let a stranger drive your car and he crashes it, he may be at fault but he isn't responsible.
>>
>>16930396
>insurance companies hate paying out and will do anything to get away with not doing so

You've literally got no idea how insurance works do you? People get this idea "insurance will never pay out" because they don't understand what they are/aren't covered for.
>>
>>16930409
>OP isn't insured under the car

Comprehensive car insurance can cover anyone who drives your car. It's almost unheard of businesses not having this since it is a massive risk.
>>
>>16930409
This

Don't pay for it unless they hire you and you can pay it off relatively quickly. Otherwise it's not worth it. If you let people take advantage of you, you'll never get anywhere.
>>
Look guys i dont care about insurance. I will pay.

The question is how:
1) by working there if they give me the chance
2) by asking my parents for money and cutting off everything with that company
Whats better? What would u do?
>>
>>16930409
I really don't think you know what liability entails. If OP isn't covered under the pizza place's insurance, the pizza place has every right to sue OP if he doesn't pay up. OP has a legal obligation towards them just by virtue of legitimately driving their car.

He owed them a duty of care, he breached it, and his breach caused them loss. This is a straightforward case of negligence.
>>
>>16930420
First of all, why would they hire you now? Secondly, get your parents to pay off the damage now, then pay them back once you get a job.
>>
>>16930405
>They dont have an insurance because they buy cheap ass cars

That's their business decision and their risk to take. If you're working at a pizza place I assume you have little money to begin with. Don't waste your time trying to make up for their mistake of not insuring their cars.
>>
>>16930420
Why would you throw money away? It's irresponsibly to ask your parents to bail you out.

If they'll hire you, great, pay it off. If not, then why would you not at least talk to a lawyer to make sure you're covered? They'll hear you for free.

>>16930421
He wasn't and isn't an employee. He has no means of paying off the car.

This place let a literal stranger drive their vehicle. A small claims court judge would call the manager an idiot if they heard this case.
>>
>>16930429
>He wasn't and isn't an employee. He has no means of paying off the car.
That is irrelevant. He was driving the car with their permission. The fact that he has an obligation to look after the car is obvious and you'd have to be an idiot to think that he doesn't have that obligation. He broke the obligation, and now he's liable.

You really don't know what you're talking about if you don't think that they'd have a case against him.
>>
>>16930421

You could take that same argument and flip it on its head, it was negligence on the part of the company. Improper supervision.
>>
>>16930435
If they hadn't checked that OP had a licence, then sure, there's an element of contributory negligence in there. If they had checked that OP has a licence or OP had signed a document of some sort saying that he had a licence and he it turns out he lied, then there isn't (and in the latter case, OP is in worse trouble). Having a licence is proof that you can drive a car, and they shouldn't have to supervise him.
>>
>>16930420
I'm this guy OP
>>16930425
>>16930391
Let me tell you why you shouldn't pay.

I work at a coal mine (project engineer). Every MINUTE we are not producing coal it costs $3000 in lost production. We are paid well but if we paid for every mistake we made none of us would ever earn anything. Loss is just part of business, whether its a coal mine or a pizza place. It's not up to us how the business is run, it's up to the business owners to pay for insurance to protect against these losses or save money by running a high risk operation.

You can chose to pay the money back, but where will you draw the line? Will you pay out of your pocket if you drop a pizza on the floor? If the place is robbed under your supervision? Don't do that to yourself otherwise you'll always working for someone elses wage.
>>
>>16930434

No such obligation exists though.

We have seen this in the ligation over car sharing accidents. The driver is separate from the owner/insured driver. Ultimately the responsibility always comes back to the owner/insured driver NOT the uninsured driver at the time of the accident.
>>
>>16930439
>I work at a coal mine (project engineer)
But you're not an expert in the law. I don't think you should be advising OP about legal issues.

Not being able to deliver pizzas because one car isn't functional isn't something small that they're just going to write off as a loss, that could be losing them a significant amount of money. It'd be worth it for them to make a claim against him.
>>
>>16930346
Tbh they are a shit business that you can't rely on for casual work if they can't afford to replace a cheap shit car, or insurance in case a staff member damages it. Because this shit happens! Don't feel so bad. I'd consider that they're a shady business and try to get out of there as soon as possible.

Not only are they shady, but as I said, if they're that stingy they can't afford insurance/new cheap vehicle, they're not even going to give you solid hours I can assure you. Maybe even cheat you some money from you just to cut corners.

Don't worry about these idiots. If they don't want to hire you, good riddance and in fact, you don't legally have to pay them back since they were retarded to get proper insurance to cover them when shit goes down.
>>
>>16930446
>But you're not an expert in the law.
No expert but certainly know my way around negligence, duty of care and contract law as I've studied these in depth.
>>
>>16930446

What is the legal basis though? If the accident wasn't reported there's no proof OP was even in the car at the time of the accident!

This entire thing is bad judgement on the part of the pizzeria. They took a risk, and it worked against them, they have to deal with it.
>>
File: PPSX8OW.jpg (113 KB, 762x613) Image search: [Google]
PPSX8OW.jpg
113 KB, 762x613
>Crashing the company vehicle on the first day
Might as well end it all now, OP.
>>
>>16930442
>No such obligation exists though.
Yes it does, it's basic negligence law.

>The driver is separate from the owner/insured driver
I'm not disputing this. My point is that OP (the driver) still owes the pizza place (the owner) a duty of care because OP was driving their car and as a result of the loss caused to them, is liable in negligence. If it were OP and some other driver, then maybe the pizza place would have to foot the bill depending on what their insurance covered, but that's not what happened here. This isn't an insurance issue, it's a negligence issue.
>>
>>16930446
Nah, they were idiots for not insuring, in fact since it wasn't the first thing they did I'm with very little doubt these people had no insurance to begin with.

>>16930439
this guy is right. Leave these people. They're a shit business, you are scared shitless of them, and of course, sleezy as fuck for having no insurance.
Because what if someone smashed into YOU and you got injured? Oh looks like they weren't insured for that either! Get the hell away from these cheap shits.
>>
>>16930457
>What is the legal basis though? If the accident wasn't reported there's no proof OP was even in the car at the time of the accident!
You know that evidence can be produced through testimony and affidavits, right? And there's the fact that, you know, there's damage to the cars?

>>16930456
You clearly haven't studied it at all if you can't seem to comprehend basic negligence concepts.
>>
You know what, OP? Do what these people say. Refuse to pay. I don't know you and I don't care enough to argue who's right and who's wrong. But don't come back and complain that you received the wrong advice.
>>
>>16930459
>it's a negligence issue

How? negligence, by law, must include carelessness. Was the OP careless? Of course not. I would even argue the opposite because he want/wanted the job.
>>
>>16930439

I understand what u want to say. That anyone could use me this way. But wny damage done is paid from your pocket in this business. You drop the pizza you pay, you crash the car you pay.
>>
>>16930459
>OP was driving their car and as a result of the loss caused to them, is liable in negligence
The fact OP crashed the car does not immediately make him negligent. There are any number of reasons people crash cars including the vehicle condition and environment. For all you know the brakes were faulty which is what caused the crash, OP would definitely not be negligent in this and a million other possible scenarios.

Since this was not reported to the police and there was no investigation you cannot lay blame straight onto OP and say OP was negligent. If through the investigation process it was found OP contributed to the crash through negligence then he would be liable. Without this he is in no way liable for these damages as he was not behaving negligently.
>>
>>16930466

and the strength of that evidence is null and void because unless you can find witnesses willing to give sworn testimony all you have is a case of hearsay.
>>
>>16930463
>in fact since it wasn't the first thing they did
I'm referring to calling the insurance company as the first thing they did

Literally they're giving a stranger a chance to pay lol. They wouldn't have needed to do that with coverage.

Also OP: You said they looked really angry/disappointed in you when they saw you.
Frankly, in hospitality, even if you drop a wine glass you'll have at least 3 sets of eyes looking at you like you'r some oblivious retard. Hospitality workers just get cunt-y looking eyes, ignore it. They'll do the same for every fucking thing you do, so time to harden up your response to that
reaction.

So when you go back to meet the two bosses tomorrow: First ask them if they were insured and to get that sorted.
If they say no: Bring up that its not your fault they didn't prepare for this, and that it's not your business then. Also call them cunts for not caring about their staff's safety for not insuring incase they get injured in their shit car. Then let them sort it out.

Better than working for them, and getting experience but when your next employer calls this pizzeria to see if you were an effective employee, that's the first thing they'll mention. Better to not have them in your history.
>>
>>16930473
The law does not change based on industry. Owners do this because the workers are scared to do anything about it for fear of losing their job, it is still illegal to do.
>>
>>16930473
>you drop the pizza you pay

lol no. Is this your first job? Serious question. I've worked at KFC and Subway. I've dropped probably $1000 worth of chicken and sandwiches between two places. I was never asked to pay, nor would I. You say "I'm sorry, I'll be more careful", your boss says "I know you will, don't sweat it." and you move on.
>>
>>16930346

Do these dumbasses not have insurance? Literally what it's there for
>>
>>16930466
>You clearly haven't studied it at all if you can't seem to comprehend basic negligence concepts

Nice baseless accusation, I'll leave you with that.
>>
>>16930484

Yes it should be like this but it isnt. Its a small private business. There is only one cook (one of the bosses) that makes all the pizzas and yes you pay for all your damage.
>>
>eatingpopcorn.jpg

this is the most interesting thread I've seen on /adv/ in ages. was getting sick and tired of all these people crying about not having a point in life.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.