[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ARE....
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: 1458263473316.jpg (191 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1458263473316.jpg
191 KB, 800x600
In university at the moment. However, most of the people are like pic related. How does one be a young intelligent conservative in such an environment without being a social outcast and without becoming a degenerate oneself?
>>
>>16929405
Here are some words to live by.
"worry bout cho self"
Seriously, they'll eat each other up in due time. Worry about bettering yourself and furthering your goals while they graduate with art majors or political science majors.
>>
>>16929405
don't be a tool
>>
All depends on where you go to school, man.

I transferred from Georgia State in downtown Atlanta, which was a liberal shithole, to the much better University of Georgia, which is about half-and-half conservative/liberal.

The truth of the matter is, though, liberals are typically outspoken assholes. You might actually BE on a campus with 50/50 but conservative college students are often bullied into silence by the "understanding" and "compassionate" political left.
>>
>>16929405
Being in College actually led me to become Libertarian, OP. Was a liberal for a long time, and realized that the general attitude of the left was sort of whiny, while conservatives sort of are just stubborn. Basically realized thag u don't know what's best for everybody and don't let your own religious agendas affect your political beliefs. In fact, don't have religion at all. It's much better that way.
>>
>>16929448
OP here, I am Dutch, so I am probably liberal by american standards. Also, atheists. But people are losing their minds when it comes to the refugee crisis and muslims and illegals, etc.
>>
>>16929405

No, what you read on /pol/ are all lies made up by bored neckbeards.

99.9% of people in art division courses are asleep or playing on their phones. They don't engage in any sort of conversation.
>>
File: 1378969409800.jpg (31 KB, 380x356) Image search: [Google]
1378969409800.jpg
31 KB, 380x356
>>16929405

>intelligent conservative

What?
>>
>>16929427
the victim complex is real
>>
>>16929460
idk, from what I've seen both sides of the issue are being a bit hard headed. It seems to me a lot of people who are anti-migrant have valid concerns but are determined to see the migrants in the worst possible light.
>>
>>16929448

Same here.

The libertarian philosophy is really the best of both worlds - no Godshit and corporate overlords running everything on the right and no nanny state faggotry from the left.

If everyone were to buy into the libertarian philosophy then all the systems of control would break down, so of course the media pretty much ignores any libertarian candidate.
>>
>>16929405
>>16929405
Well if you want to TRULY be intelligent, you need to stop using idiotic labels like:
>Conservative
>Liberal
>HERPA DERPA
Just stop. Those are labels the wealthy and powerful use to divide us amongst ourselves. We are only citizens of the United States fighting for a better country and life.

Labeling yourself along political parties is laziness pure and simple. I almost stop listening as soon as I hear people start using those words. The fuck is a "conservative" anyway besides a member of a specific party? It's an almost meaningless word.

>HUUUR I believe in small gubment!
The fuck does that even mean? As if the SIZE of something (other than dicks) matters to its efficacy. Shouldn't your focus be on making things MORE effective, preferably with LESS waste period? The fuck does size matter.
>people. eugh.
>>
>>16929490
OP here. Okay, mabye I should redifine in more detail: I am a pragmatist in favour of a meritocratic technocracy. However, that is certainly not a popular position among my peers.
>>
>>16929488
isn't libertarianism entirely about corporate overlords running everything though?
>>
>>16929512
what is their problem with meritocracy?
>>
>>16929405
Choose your battles, and realize that you can respectfully disagree with others and that they are entitled to your opinion and you are entitled to yours. Don't ignore the opinion of others- seek out people with different opinions and LISTEN to them instead of fighting. Ask them to explain their perspective to you, and listen and thank them for their opinions. Do not be combative.
If someone tries to shame you for your opinions or wants to fight with you, call them out on it. Liberals are terrified of looking like they're intolerant. Keep your cool and be like "I'd love to have a conversation with you, but I need you to be respectful about the things that we disagree on. It's possible to still respect someone even if you see things differently than them- or are you intolerant of people with differing views? Isn't that the exact thing that you advocate for? Respecting people's diversity?"
>>
>>16929512
Finally, a pragmatic person who believes in good of meritocracy and technocracy. Now you just have to say you're technically a reductionist and love Amsterdam

If they confront you, be sure to have well reasoned arguments against them. If they don't, let them drive themselves to insanity. It is actually better to avoid it in university because of the power they have at times. Wait until you're in the real world if you want to stop it
>>
>>16929530
Entitled to their*
>>
>>16929512
here's some actual advice, don't be politically active while youre in school unless you want to go into politics. There are no winners at the college level, nobody wants to have a productive conversation (from either ideology) and it's just going to make you look like a weirdo if act too passionate about it
>>
File: 1371239201490.gif (677 KB, 150x150) Image search: [Google]
1371239201490.gif
677 KB, 150x150
>How does one be a young intelligent conservative

>young
>intelligent
>conservative
pick one
>>
>>16929405
Do not state your opinion unsolicited. If someone asks you what you think, calmly and politely tell them.

Uni isn't some magical territory where discretion is unnecessary.
>>
You're not intelligent if you're voting for #Drumpf
#FeelTheBern
>>
>>16929517

It assumes a shared responsibility among all people worldwide. This is why, like communism, it would never work because if there is one corrupt fuckhead in a position of authority/power then the whole system breaks down.
>>
Who the fuck makes or breaks friendship over politics? Jesus, you sound like a retard. Have fun living in your bubble and keeping out anyone with values and thoughts that don't 100% align with yours.
>>
>>16929405
Keep an open mind, but hide your power level.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.