[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I stop my parents from asking me for money? I'll
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
How do I stop my parents from asking me for money? I'll shorten the story for you.

>share checking account w/ parents under family plan
>get new job
>full time, get by just a bit
>put up a secret savings account, mainly for emergencies and college
>save money every paycheck
>they know about it and why i do it but they don't know how much i'm saving
>dad works for government so he makes 8x more than me
>notice they keep asking me to pay for their stuff
>at first it's emergency stuff, like phone bills and repairs
>now it's food or useless things they don't need (i.e rice cooker or tub-o-towels)
>sit down with them and explain how i can't do any of the things i want to do if they keep asking for money
>always promise to pay back
>either they never do or they pay very small amounts of money back bi-weekly

Before anyone says it, I'm gonna say it. I can't move out. If I did, my college plans would be ruined. I also do not make enough to move out. I don't know any close friends or acquaintances who would be good room mates, either. If anyone was interested in why I'm dead set on school, it's because I want to be a teacher for teaching sign language. Please help me.
>>
>>16928528
I have been in a similar situation as yours. My parents are terrible with managing their finances and found out I had saved a nice stack of money for emergencies. Suddenly everything became an emergency and they ask for help with everything while simultaneously purchasing a ton of nonsense items. I would suggest you get your own bank account and never let them know anything about your finances again. They will never stop asking, no matter how many times you tell them to stop.
>>
>>16928528

You can make a deal with them like:
>I live in this house / flat / room, so I will rent it by a fixed amount of money per week / month.
>In return you will stop asking me for money.

Problem solved. It is just another automatic payment to your parents in internet banking every month like a normal rent would be. If they asks you for money again, that it is them who have problem with money management?
>>
>>16928582
I already pay some of the rent.

>If they asks you for money again, that it is them who have problem with money management?
Yes.

>>16928576
Sounds very similar to mine. They always say they are broke, then buy the most retarded things I've seen. Like a $300 shelf or a new touch screen computer. I guess I will have to make my bank account separate from now on. Shame.
>>
>>16928528
It doesn't make sense. You have less money than them. Why are they asking you for money?
>>
>>16928594
>I will have to make my bank account separate from now on. Shame.

That is not shame. It is part of becoming full fledged adult,
>>
>>16928619
Shame as in it's a shame it has come to this.
>>
>>16928619
This.
You will also start to learn that it's better in general if loved ones do not know what you make or how you make it. If they are not making financially responsible decisions they will see what you have and come up with the nicest ways to make it theirs. That being said, help out in your own ways to keep you feeling like an adult, i.e. purchase grocery staples etc. Replace what you use.
>>
>>16928645
Mhm, yep. I learned this the hard way and lost 2 friends because I was open about my finances when I first started making actual money. Now I understand why people are not open about their salary.
>>
>his parents make less than him
Feels good to have grown up in a million dollar house
>>
>>16928665
Well to be fair we are probably the most successful in our family, which is saying a lot.

>grandpa was a mechanic working at a dead end job, grandma was stay at home mother. always had issues
>aunt/uncle worked on a farm, farm closed down, bankrupt
>cousins got kids now, moved out and are now living w/ 3 roomies. could be worse
>other aunt stays home and claims she is disabled due to back issues, other uncle works his ass off at carpentry and makes little

Sorry about the wall of text/bitching, I got nothing to do. Just waiting for my oven to pre-heat.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.