[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone have any personal examples of cover letters they've
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2
File: 1446089038553.jpg (26 KB, 500x320) Image search: [Google]
1446089038553.jpg
26 KB, 500x320
Does anyone have any personal examples of cover letters they've used to get jobs? I'm having a hard time gauging how much personality to put it; it's like I'm writing college essays again.

Of course you're free to take out personally identifying information.

I'm getting into the habit of sending one word doc with my resume and cover letter for applications that only give me an option to attach my resume. Is this a good idea? Will it fuck with formatting? I figure that I could hit more of the search terms that ATS uses by having those words more organically appear in a cover letter. Smart or stupid?
>>
Have you tried googling cover letter examples?
>>
>>16928034
Yes, they are extraordinarily generic and not very helpful. It's like the generic response you give to the "your biggest weakness" question: I'm a perfectionist, i work too hard, etc. I am asking YOU anons for YOUR examples that YOU have been successful with.
>>
>>16928043
How does that help you any more than anything Google links you to?
>>
>>16928050
Because I'll know they've been successful and not just a redundant list of things that are already on the resume?

I don't know why you keep posting if you're not going to share, you're just wasting both our time
>>
>>16928053
I literally just used the same one from my schools career center. I just changed my name, company name and added my field
>>
File: YourTears.jpg (61 KB, 449x445) Image search: [Google]
YourTears.jpg
61 KB, 449x445
Anons,
Hiring manager here...try to stay away from generic or boilerplate cover letters...they are easy to spot and win you no favors.
Seriously, don't.
I'll look closer at a genuine cover letter than a boilerplate cover letter any day, ten times out of ten.
Google "The Five Parts of a Cover Letter" for more info.
Keep it concise, error-free, and grammatically correct. You wouldn't believe all the crap cover letters and resume's I see - anything poorly written goes straight to the reject pile no matter how good the qualifications.
BTW, nothing wrong with starting off with a cover letter and moving on to your resume in the same document, I see it all the time.

Good luck with whatever career you are trying to get started in!
>>
>>16928023
read the vacancy ad thouroughly, use their words as much as possible. you start with how you came to send a letter.
>I've been admiring the derp brand for some time, hence I am glad to be informed that you are seeking to recruit (exact title of the vacancy). By means of this letter i would like to present myself as a (required character traits like highly skilled and motivated) candidate

then there's the part where you talk about your qualifications, explicitly mention the ones they're asking for in their wording
>I recently ended my employment/studies at (previous job) due to (something positive!)
During this and previous I learned (exactly the required stuff and give examples)

Finally you state why you are interested in exactly this job, like
>It would be a great pleasure for me to work in your company as this would allow me to make a difference in the derpology community. Not only because this and this, but also because that and that
read the ad carefully, theyll give you an idea of what the company finds important.
>>
>>16928043
"I'm a perfectionist" is a red flag answer to the question "what is your biggest weakness." No one wants to work with perfectionists. They are the biggest pains in the ass. Don't answer the question with that.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.