[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Am I fucked?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: plagiarism.png (17 KB, 690x600) Image search: [Google]
plagiarism.png
17 KB, 690x600
In my shitty speech 151 class, I did an awesome speech on how to cure hangovers. The teacher loved it, but when I was getting back my graded speech today, 96/100, she said she wanted to hang onto a hardcopy of MY speech only, because she said "it's a popular topic that is often sold"and that she needs to check it for plagiarism.
It's mostly my own work, but had a hard time with the intro and googled it and pretty much copied some of this dude's intro essay that's for sale on some site.

Am I fucked? She's kind of a this old hippie teacher that only asked ME out of everyone else. Is it hard to plagiarize-check a hard copy?
>>
>>16926854
>Is it hard to plagiarize-check a hard copy?

No--very easy.
There are web sites custom made for this.
>>
>>16926854
did she video record your speech? if not, just edit your speech before handing it in
>>
>>16926866
You know that plagiarism isn't just copying someone else's work word for word, right? If you don't paraphrase and acknowledge that you've done so, that's also plagiarism. Changing the speech so that it no longer resembles the original work isn't going to work, she's going to realise that it's nothing like what he actually said when he got up and spoke,
>>
>>16926866
No she didn't record it. She took a hard copy of it while I was presenting.
>>16926871
While some of what I was written was copied word-for-word (like a sentence or 2) while presenting, I had drank 3 shots of tequila before hand and kind of winged it, making up a bunch of new content as I went. The date on my written hard copy was back in early February, and a plan I had was to maybe quickly paraphrase my intro. If she brings it up, I would just tell her I accidently gave her an older copy and that the new one was my current copy that I presented.
>>
File: tmp_13607-images-1007752824.jpg (7 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
tmp_13607-images-1007752824.jpg
7 KB, 225x225
>>16926854
>she needs to check it for plagiarism.
>pretty much copied some of this dude's intro essay
>Am I fucked?
Eeeeeeeeeeyup. Shouldn't have given in.
>>
>>16926854
>going to check my work for plagiarism
>plagiarised
>will she know I plagiarised?

You'll be lucky if you don't get booted out of university for this
>>
>>16926854

There's a small chance she liked it and wanted to hang it up somewhere, since she's a hippie.

I'm assuming the speech subject was assigned, since "cure hangovers" is a pretty shitty topic to self-select. If I'm right, you googled "hangover essay" or something to that effect and picked one of the first links, and she's heard that intro countless times before. You already fucked up, and changing it at this point is just going to get you in hotter water.
>>
>>16926854
Let's cut the crap.

You cheated and you're scared you got caught.

Chances are that you will be caught. What happens then depends on the school's formal policies and the degree to which the teacher might be willing to ignore them.

The policies are in writing someplace. The penalty could be anything from failure on the assignment to automatic expulsion, but is most likely to be automatic failure in the course.

Whatever the rules are, a particularly soft-hearted teacher might bend them a very little in your favor, while a hard-liner might go for death.
>>
>>16927153
Yeah it was self selected. And you're right, I googled it and there is really only a single essay out there on it. I took one sentence from his intro along the lines of something like "as a guy who once thought himself immune to hangovers, after having to deal with plenty myself, I feel I'm qualified to talk about them"
>>
>>16927558
I can only pray the teacher is lazy and/or cool.
>>
Really depends, on paper my school's policies on cheating/plagiarism are very strict but in reality slack. If she catches you, you will likely fail the project or the course and possibly have additional courses added.
>>
>>16928675
Hoping so. Sucks that spring break just started and I have to wait 1.5 weeks to find out.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.