[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I really don't know how this is going to seem, but I have
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (33 KB, 1008x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
33 KB, 1008x720
I really don't know how this is going to seem, but I have a problem where I can't really use my knowledge. The simplest way I can explain this is, often in my literary classes, I can't find simple synonyms (eg mischievous -> naughty) or piece together sentences (I'm having enough trouble typing this out). This is frustrating because I know I'm intelligent, but I can't actually use any of my knowledge. It's come to the point where I can't remember what routes to take on my morning commute. Is this some kind of social or mental disorder or something I've never heard of?
>>
Probably a bad case of brain fog.

Have you tried combinating eating well, sleeping properly, exercising, reading, writing, etc?
>>
>>16926307
What is brain fog?
>>
>>16926509

Google it.
>>
>>16925407
English teacher here.

I can't solve your commuting problem, but your writing difficulty is actually quite common - especially among better students - and can easily be fixed.

You're ambitious. You want to be not only a clear writer but an interesting writer. You want just the right word for each situation. Good for you.

But doing that at the same time that you're deciding what to say in the first place can make you trip over yourself. You won't get far into the idea content of a sentence if you stop at every word to find the best alternative word.

Solution: just write what you mean, as simply and clearly as possible. Don't worry about how cleverly or impressively it's said - just get it said. And then, and only then, you can go back and see if changing a word here and there will make it better. In short, do one thing - ideas or word choice - at a time instead of trying to do them together.

(A last point - you may very well find that the clear, simple, direct first draft is in fact the best way to say what you want to say, and doesn't need any big words to pretty it up.)
>>
>>16926307
I don't think it's that at all. I eat and sleep well enough, and I read and write often, which is why this issue worries me.

>>16926695
Yes, that totally makes sense. But I feel that I should have figured that out on my own, because I'm fully aware of synonyms having their specific meanings. In any case, regarding that particular, thanks a bunch, but I think my problem inhibits my basic problem solving in general. I've heard somewhere before that my ability in math subjects is directly connected to this. Does that have anything to do with it?
>>
>>16926695
GOAT reply

what anime is that from op?
>>
>>16928000
Serial Experiments Lain
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.