[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just got home from a job convention, I walked around glancing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: 1374413234874.jpg (41 KB, 283x281) Image search: [Google]
1374413234874.jpg
41 KB, 283x281
Just got home from a job convention, I walked around glancing at the different representatives feeling nothing but a crippling,paralyzing fear of even looking at them, while all the normal functioning people walked up and talked with enthusiasm. Just walking around inside for 5minutes made me have to go outside for air. When I got home I put the resumés I printed out in a drawer and closed it so that I wouldnt be reminded of the fact that I didnt hand out a single one.

>graduating with STEM degree
>successful athlete, been on the local news and in newspapers a few times
>always reminded of how liked and intelligent I am
>cant even walk up to a stranger and talk to him/her

What do? Now I just feel absolutely shit because there is no job other convention between now and graduating.

Should I just kill myself and have it over with?
>>
>>16922955
> what do?

Go back and pass out those resumés?
>>
>>16922959
they closed up

I sat in a café next to the convention for 1,5hours just trying to muster up the courage to go back and actually fucking do something, I left when it was over
>>
Go to Dr and explain
Get anxiolytics
Become an God

Serious tho, xanax turned me from a spaghetti spilling sperg into a cassanova. I used to sweat at school if any attention was on me. So bad I had to leave class. Now I give speeches and many people say I'm the best at them.
>>
>>16922965
Thats the problem

I can give speeches in school fine, but I cant approach these people. I think its not just social anxiety but also a self image problem, that I feel like im too bad for them. It's almost like im afraid to be found out to be a fraud even though im not one...
>>
>>16922955
You panicked because you were looking at the event the wrong way.

You felt they were there waiting for you to sell yourself to them, and you were afraid of rejection.

They were actually there to sell THEMSELVES to YOU. I doubt whether too many students left resumes. But a lot picked up the company literature and application forms to take home and, after deciding if they wanted to apply there, have an address to mail their resumes to.

Is the event still on? Leave your resumes at home and go back and let the company reps try to sell themselves to you.
>>
It's called therapy. It's where you go to learn how to deal with and conquer your anxiety.

How to find a mental health provider: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/mental-illness/in-depth/mental-health-providers/art-20045530
How to find a therapist: http://www.webmd.com/anxiety-panic/guide/how-to-find-therapist
>>
>>16922975
>It's almost like im afraid to be found out to be a fraud even though im not one...

You need to seek therapy. You're suffering from Imposter Syndrome.
>>
>>16922955
job conventions really just tell you the basics of applying and then refer you to their website, honestly they arent that useful except for knowing where you can apply

use your schools career center

also your stem degree isnt worth as much as you think it is lol
>>
Honestly just force yourself to start talking to them.

The first couple of them will go poorly, but eventually you'll figure out what to do. Remember you only need to kick ass with one of them.
>>
>>16923522
>also your stem degree isnt worth as much as you think it is lol
thats just silly, just look at the job market, the statistics
>>
>>16924487
outside of engineering and medicine stem sucks. it's also hard to take the numbers seriously when they include CNC operators in the numbers. i mean, really, cnc? gtfo out of here, that shit is done by people with a high school diploma with some training otj.

i think however it's fantastic to get something like a general degree such as mech eng or whatever you can if you can get it at alow cost. but the numbers that can't even get the stats straight since depending on who you read(4-7million stem jobs) are hard to take seriously. even taking the nsf's numbers which are the highest at 12 million for all stem jobs it's going to be rough competition because not all STEM degrees are transferrable.

http://www.nsf.gov/statistics/infbrief/nsf13311/

a really great article is here
http://spectrum.ieee.org/at-work/education/the-stem-crisis-is-a-myth

a great video here too is charrette's talk about why his reasoning goes against the whole stem myth. it was funny how when it was first made petroleum engineering was seen as the saviour of STEM and now it's in the gutter due to the oil crash which proved magnificently his whole argument about how employment "crisis'" come in waves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lf1DhyOZ1FE
>>
>>16924564
thats missing the point

STEM degrees in general are far more valuable than other degrees

also, who the fuck said OP is from the US? This board has much less than 50% americans, and OPs post was made way too early by US timezones to be a reasonable time for a job convention

in my country you get to pick your job with an IT degree, with engineering degrees every graduating student has several good companies to pick from
>>
>>16924604
No YOU'RE missing the point. A STEM isn't a golden ticket like you're implying.

And if OP isn't from the US his job prospects are probably even shittier.
>>
>>16924633
nope, far better

the american college money machine is mostly an american thing
>>
>>16924633
Definitely not true for sweden.

I even gasped when my american friends said you dont get employed with bad grades in america. Here they dont even look at your grades. And if you graduate with someone in the IT industry for example, youll get employed period. Its also true for all STEM subjects I can think of.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.