[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I really want to act but cant let go of how stupid it feels.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1
I really want to act but cant let go of how stupid it feels. The whole thing gives me anxiety for some reason and I think its because I can't understand it. In this sort of mindset I become hyperware of the audience observing rather than the performance itself.
David Bryne came closest to explaining "it" to me when he said "Stop making sense, nothing about performing makes sense".
I really want to know what it means to love acting and enjoy art but I cant get over this feelng. Some people can just do it for some reason without question. I know most of you are going to say "just do it", and I don't have a problem with that since its probably what I'm going to end up doing, but I want to understand my current position. I feel like Im being torn into two different personalities, one resisting what seems dangerous, the other willing to take the risk. Has anyone ever felt like this?a
>>
JUST DO IT

And maybe seek a therapist.
>>
>>16922291
Have you ever listened to the song from A Chorus Line. I think it's Calle d"Nothing" about how this actor is trying to act but feels nothing, and then eventually gets over it? Listen to that.
>>
>>16922291
Modern acting requires a kind of elective schizophrenia. One half of you has to be immersed in the character, to make your performance as real and natural as possible. The other half has to be aware you're acting, monitoring your performance technically, making sure you feed the others the right cues, picking up on audience reaction and the like.

How to do both of those things is what a lot of formal acting training is about. Have you taken serious training, or are you just an enthusiastic amateur? You have to be taught how to do exactly those things you currently don't know how to do.
Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.