[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ending a friendship
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1
File: philosopher.gif (131 KB, 368x522) Image search: [Google]
philosopher.gif
131 KB, 368x522
This is my first time posting here, so please excuse my poor storytelling.

I've been bros with this guy since eighth grade - I'm 19 now, he's 20. We were really close in high school, but ever since graduation, he's been growing increasingly more distant. Not returning texts / calls, not seeming interested when we hang out, etc.

A week or so ago, I got into an argument with him and his brother about some stupid political bullshit. He ignored me entirely for a week, and then texted me out of the blue saying he might not want to be friends anymore. He says I'm an asshole, that we don't have anything in common anymore, and that he doesn't approve of my (sparing) alcohol and drug use (mainly weed and tobacco, psychedelics twice). He asked me to give him a reason why we should stay friends, and I honestly haven't come up with one yet.

Should I try and fix things, or just try to end them as civilly as possible? I'm trying to avoid sunk costs fallacy here, but I also don't want to just cut ties with such a close friend at the drop of a hat.
>>
>>16922186

that happens, it's called life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TW-tcUYwQnc

Cherish the good memories but sometimes it's time to move on.
>>
>>16922186
If that hasn't happened before there might be a small initial shock, but it's a harsh life lesson. I have like 4 close friends right now, over the measly 22 years of my life I have lost over 10. People come and go, unless you were close with a friend more than, say, 7 years, it's not worth patching up. Move on.
>>
>>16922261
P.S.
>just try to end them as civilly as possible
Do nothing, literally. Just let it go, no calls, no chats, no meet-ups. You don't owe the guy a dear-john talk.
>>
>>16922261
>>16922263
It has been about 7 years, actually. And he and I were in the middle of a conversation when he went to bed tonight, so I won't ignore him if he responds tomorrow. But if he doesn't do that then I'm definitely cutting contact.

The reason I want to end things civilly is because we have a lot of mutual friends. My other best friend is engaged to the sister of the guy in question.
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.