[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /adv/, I'm feeling lost and gloomy. I just graduated
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2
File: tumblr_mr02vcBZAP1rb3a88o1_1280.jpg (126 KB, 700x933) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mr02vcBZAP1rb3a88o1_1280.jpg
126 KB, 700x933
Hey /adv/, I'm feeling lost and gloomy. I just graduated college this past December, resigned from my retail job (and first job) that I had been working at since starting college and started another job but quit right away.

I didn't want to work the new job even though it'd be my first full time job and I'd be getting paid decently because I'd have to work with at risk youth. They become very violent and I didn't feel safe working there and possibly having to restrain them.

So presently, I don't have a job. It's been about a month. I've been applying to places but I just feel so discouraged. In all honesty I don't know what I want to do. Or if I will use my degree (Bachelors of Science in Sociology - yeah not the best field). I don't know what I'm passionate about or what really calls out to me... but at the same time I need money if I want to move out of my parent's house and live on my own. Which I desperately want to do... I don't know... I feel stuck between two paths.

I just wanted to vent and see what anyone else had to say.
>>
Sociology is a big subject, is there a type of field or job you can study to with your degree?
To be honest housing is expensive, so start saving up and scrap that plan till your on your feet.
>>
>>16920342

do a mission in africa or some shit to get out of the house and get some perspective.

talk to your old professors, see if they can hook you up.
>>
>>16920361
That's reassuring to hear. Usually I'm a bit timid to tell people what I've studied. One of my sociology professors who joke that all of her students would end up working at Starbucks which was never really... well motivational.

Human services and law are the most common fields people will go into with a sociology degree. However, I'm not sure I want to work directly with people who are in tough situations or are mentally challenged/disabled...

I like comforting people but also informing them. However, I don't think I could be a professor. It's difficult because I feel as though it's a pressure to choose ONE PATH now and stick with it!
>>
>>16920376
That's a cool idea... I've always wanted to travel on my own. I feel like it would get me out of my shell. You're right about my professors... I should try and see if any of them can help me out
>>
>>16920384
Have you considered research sociology? Studying that, you could possibly be able to travel around for assignments, for groups who employ you.
And like the other anon said talk with your prof they can help point you in a direction.
>>
File: bDntvol5_400x400.png (212 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
bDntvol5_400x400.png
212 KB, 400x400
Thanks for your help guys. I actually just sent a couple e-mails out to professors. Hope to hear back from them later in the week! I'm feeling a bit more optimistic.
>>
>>16920519
I'd love to do that! I've thought about doing journalism... I imagine that would allow me to travel places and report on current social events. I think it's called backpack journalism?
>>
>>16920576
I would be very ware of journalism, because your competing against teenagers with cellphone cameras, and the job market is oversaturated with photo journalists and guys with scarfs trying to get the next Pulitzer Prize with articles of slander.

IF you can get connected and get a portfolio then go for journalism. find what kind of backpack journalism you want and start working on that, politics too local events, and learn from people, who currently do it.

Lastly contact the professors of journalism at your school, and talk to them, you may get better advice from them.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.