[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Renting an apartment
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: iStock_000013201412Small.jpg (607 KB, 847x567) Image search: [Google]
iStock_000013201412Small.jpg
607 KB, 847x567
Hey guys I made this thread yesterday but didn't get much help. I've been looking at an apartment and I finally found a place. I went yesterday and filled out the application. Once I had turned it in the secretary calls me and asked me if I could get her the number for one of my previous residences so they could call and verify that I lived there. The problem is that I wasn't on the lease and I was living there with my ex. Would I get myself or my ex in trouble if I told the lady that I wasn't on the lease?
>>
>>16920226
What I personally would do is give them your ex's number or someone else's and have them pretend to be the landlord and say you were a good tenant. The lady isn't going to care enough or check enough to make sure you're not lying.

I wouldn't have them call the landlord directly, unless he some how knew you were living there and didn't care. You won't get in trouble and it's unlikely your ex will, but they could potentially evict your ex for having you live there, assuming they care. Even if they don't, your ex-landlord will probably say you weren't on the lease, and then you won't get the apartment anyway.
>>
>>16920261
The place I'm living in right now has my name on the lease. The place before this is where only her name is on the lease. If the worst thing they can do is deny me the apartment then I'll just tell the secretary.
>>
So long as you had a good record of paying rent, there wasn't a bunch of awful property damage or anything like that, and the landlord and your gf ended things on good terms, I don't see a problem with giving your landlord the info.
>>
>>16920226
They want to know whether you're going to pay the rent or trash the place.

Give them the address and explain that you weren't on the lease but your GF was. They'll check whether there were any problems. The old landlord gets a dozen queries like that every day, and it won't get your GF or you in any trouble (unless you were bad tenants)

And there's always the possibility that the new landlord won't call the references but just wants to see that you can provide them.

Do NOT have a friend pretend to be an old landlord. It is too easy to expose that, and will end with you being blackballed throughout town.
>>
I told them that I wasn't on the lease and they said it wouldn't be a problem but they were going to call my ex girlfriend. Thanks for the help guys.
>>
>>16920226
>renting
enjoy your poverty
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.