[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any Software Engineers?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: iStock_000027440241_Small.jpg (745 KB, 862x557) Image search: [Google]
iStock_000027440241_Small.jpg
745 KB, 862x557
What was it like getting your BA in Software Engineering?

What made you choose that degree specifically? I'm switching my major at the end of this semester. Software Engineers from what I can tell make a good salary.

How is the work? Did you have a hard time getting employed?
>>
>>16919797
You can start out making 60k with a cs degree, but don't expect any sort of growth without additional degrees or high level knowledge of specific software systems. Also software engineers from my experience are just code monkeys while those with cs degrees specifically actually know the theory behind the code.
>>
>>16919813
https://webapp4.asu.edu/programs/t5/programs/Keyword/Ira%20A.%20Fulton%20Schools%20of%20Engineering%20at%20Polytechnic/undergrad/false

list of all "Engineering" majors at my school. Would you pick out the ones you think are most in demand atm?
>>
>>16919797
What was your previous major, OP?
>>
>>16919918
Unmanned Aerial Systems

its bullshit, we need so much authorization from the FAA just so we don't get fined for flying near an airport. The school only offers the course in the Spring and hasn't hired anybody for next year.

My adviser said if I do software, I can graduate in three years. But the school has so much degrees, I just picked this one because it sounds the LEAST "scammy"
>>
software engineering is literally garanteed work until you retire unless you really suck
Plus it has the advantage that you can usually find a "fair" job, ie if you are actually very good you get in a very good company with good atmosphere and good perks etc. But I agree if you really want to be hired in a top tier firm to do interesting thing you need to have something more than a CS degree.

As anecdotal evidence, I started working as a software engineer 2011, quit my job in 2013 to study financial math, worked for another year in finance getting my shit fucked, just to find out that I would get payed more and enjoy my work 10x more by working again in software engineering but in a more high-profile company
>>
>>16919994
I hear that a big part of soft. is communicating with the customer. Bringing their vision to life so to speak, seems interesting.

I'm not so much concerned with making the next facebook so much as paying my debts and earning enough to justify still living with my mom until age 26.
>>
>>16920053
meh honestly that's more the jobs of business analyst people and "product" people

software engineering for me is really technical stuff and being able to dwelve into complex and technical stuff
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.