[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Gap year
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3
File: 1456815020801.jpg (47 KB, 480x676) Image search: [Google]
1456815020801.jpg
47 KB, 480x676
Have any of you anons taken a gap year in college? I'm a first year student and have the opportunity to take a year off to live in Boulder. I would, in addition to working some menial job full time, try to find some sort of internship to figure out what the hell I want to do with my life. I would also be /out/ in the mountains. All in all it sounds like a great idea, and this is something I can't really do after college when I have real responsibilities.

However, I don't know how my parents will react, and my gf would probably be really upset. We are already long distance but that would double the distance between us to 1,000 miles. I'm also a little worried about losing study habits/everything I learned in school.

Do any of you anons have experience with this?
>>
File: 635923414327292766.jpg (152 KB, 540x960) Image search: [Google]
635923414327292766.jpg
152 KB, 540x960
Bumpan
>>
In Boulder? Fuck yeah I'd take a year off for that.
>>
Why don't you fucking talk to your parents and girlfriend?
>>
Fucking do it.

You're young now, and there is a low chance that you will stay with your gf in the long-term.

I took two years off and did AmeriCorps...which was the best decision I have made in my life. Most employers want an individual with work experience, and the best part about the internships I took-part in was two-fold: I received on-the-job experience, and received money to use towards a college education.

Also, most people don't know what they want to do when entering college fresh out of high school--which is normal. What is not so normal: the expectation that kids should choose their futures without real-world experience.

I say, get your shit figured out (logistically) and go for it. Life is about experiences.
>>
File: 1456815166471.jpg (27 KB, 496x474) Image search: [Google]
1456815166471.jpg
27 KB, 496x474
>>16919728
Mentioned it to parents casually, didn't come off as too serious about it, they were neutral and didn't show any strong inclinations. I'll bring it up again soon, my next weekly phone call.

Also said something to my gf, she said the idea made her sad and we shouldn't talk about it until I see her next week.

>>16919758
The work experience thing is a good point. I'm thinking I want to do something with environmental science, but I also want to study math, which I am doing currently...I'll try to get an in with the local parks & rec or something like that and see if it resonates with me more

pic not related
>>
>>16919618
Figuring out what you want to do with your life is a good thing.
What your girlfriend thinks is irrelevant. What your parents think matters because they probably know you better than anyone else, while also having your best intentions in mind.

You won't have another opportunity to do something like this once you're graduated and hold a full time job. Taking time like this might also save you from having a crisis in the middle of the semester like I did. My gap year turned into 3 years, but it's better that it happened this way because I would have been completely fucked if I hadn't addressed it earlier. Not saying your situation is this dire, but it's something to thin about.
>>
>>16919866
Parks & Rec is more geared towards community building/sociology (rather than environmental preservation). Working for the Forest Service would be closer to the field you show expressed interest in, though you would become more familiar with flora, so I guess Parks&Rec is a step in the right direction (and it would be relatively menial work so you could dedicate mental energy to maths).
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.