[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Need help from some medfags
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2
File: Bill_Evans.jpg (109 KB, 1000x1031) Image search: [Google]
Bill_Evans.jpg
109 KB, 1000x1031
>tl;dr:
>Got sick w/ flu
>Took mucinex, it helped stop headaches, soreness and pressure
>Still had awful sorethroat and cough
>Took Halls Menthol cough drop
>Didn't do in anything, in addition now I have this nasty lingering taste in the back of my throat that won't go away + the difficulty in swallowing/bad cough/sorethroat combo
>Haven't been able to sleep in 24 hours as a result
>Completely exhausted
>Trying different foods/drinks to alleviate taste of menthol in back of throat but nothing works
>Not sure what else to do to treat flu
>halp

I almost never get sick, but when I do get sick, it's pretty severe.

I came down with a pretty bad flu I'm guessing. It started around Friday last week. Really bad headache, lot's of pressure in the head/nasal cavity, feeling really hot, soreness all over, really really bad sore throat accompanied by a bad cough. Basically been miserable the past few days.

I normally don't take any medicine because I don't feel it ever does anything for me and I'm just paranoid about the stuff in general. However, I was on spring break from school + paid vacation from work and I was fed up with being sick and decided I didn't want to waste my entire vacation sick so I caved and went to the store and bought some Mucinex as well as some Halls Cough Drops.

1/2
>>
File: 1409963315440.jpg (187 KB, 746x718) Image search: [Google]
1409963315440.jpg
187 KB, 746x718
2/2

Upon taking the Mucinex I felt almost immediate relief from the high pressure in my head, head aches, nasal cavity, and soreness, but my sore throat and cough still persisted. So I took a cough drop and it was gross. I didn't look when I bought it, but it apparently contained menthol.

Now I have this nasty lingering menthol taste in the back of my throat the won't go away and it honestly feels worse than the flu because it's so distracting and generates so much saliva that I can't fall asleep.

I've been awake over 24 hours now just coughing and spitting up trying desperately to fall asleep but I can't.

I keep trying to eat/drink different things open to "wash out" the taste of the menthol in back of my throat, but everything only lasts temporarily until it comes back.

I guess my question is what can I do to alleviate this nasty taste of menthol that's in the back of my throat, and is there anything else I should be doing to help my flu?

Apologies if this is incoherent or poorly written. Like I said, I've been up for over 24 hours with an awful flu and I'm completely exhausted.
>>
i'm sorry to tell you what you probably already know, but you just have to wait it out, take some rest, stay hydrated, drink something warm like tea, and try to get some sleep, it's really important.
>>
>>16919437
Yeah, I figured as much. Just wanted to know if there's anything I can do to expedite the process...

I've been drinking a lot of water. So much so that I'm burping near constantly. Water however d doesn't really dilute the menthol taste, in fact, it feels like it amplifies it. I'll usually down a glass of water, build up a ton of saliva, have to spit it all out because swallowing is so painful/awakens that menthol taste that is so horrible in my mouth. Then I go and get a glass of cranberry juice or in this chocolate milk since they're actually soothing to go down.

As for tea, I tried some green tea but amplified that menthol taste even more so and it didn't seem to be helping with my sorethroat anyways so I said forget that.

Thanks for the advice anyways. More so just wallowing in self pity at this point
>>
Flu sucks man, I've had it several times myself. Here's what I would personally do:

For the menthol taste, I'd try gargling with some warm salt water. That would also help your throat too. If that doesn't work, it might just take a while for it to fade. I am not a menthol kinda person so idk how long that would take. I'd imagine a day or less.

If you're not taking any flu meds that knock you out, get some. I get restless when I'm sick and sometimes it takes a good Nyquil stupor to get me to sleep decent.

There isn't a lot else you can do, just keep hydrated, stay warm, rest as much as you can (if you can't sleep, at least lie down as much as possible), get as much nutrition as you can, and keep an eye on your temperature. Also don't eat a whole bunch of processed sugar shit like candy, because it suppresses your immune system. But a popsicle or two, or some tea with honey, is fine. Soup and broth are great if you have any. The warmth might also help you relax enough to sleep a bit.

Good luck OP, hope you feel better soon.
>>
>>16919451
Thanks, man. Really appreciate it.

I'll try to the salt water thing ASAP. That's the main thing at this point. Everytime I inhale, I get this nasty menthol sensation in my throat. I don't know why it's so bad, as I only took one cough drop but it's been keeping me awake all this time. I can definitely attest for the restlessness that being sick gives you.

I try to lay down, but the constant urge to spit or drink something, clear my throat, etc. keeps me up and I can never doze off for too long.

All the same, I appreciate the advice. Thanks
>>
eat some plain potato chips, they're good for getting rid of bad tastes like that.

also, mucinex is contributing to your excess mucus problem, since that's what it's supposed to do.

do you smoke (anything)? if so, the mucinex is helping to clear out your lungs from smoke gunk, but since you have the flu they're probably 10x worse than usual anyway.

don't go overboard on eating food, it's better to eat almost nothing than eat too much when you're sick, the body needs all its energy to recover, not digest unnecessary food. eat when you have a great appetite upon recovering.
>>
>>16919511
>eat some plain potato chips, they're good for getting rid of bad tastes like that.
Hmm, might try that.

>do you smoke (anything)? if so, the mucinex is helping to clear out your lungs from smoke gunk, but since you have the flu they're probably 10x worse than usual anyway.
I don't personally smoke, but my entire family are all heavy smokers so I probably get a lot of second hand smoke.

>don't go overboard on eating food, it's better to eat almost nothing than eat too much when you're sick
So far, I've only been downing the occasional bowl of soup, some crackers or maybe some yogurt, piece of cheese, etc.

I don't have any appetite, I mainly just eating because I know it's been X amount of hours since I last ate and I should probably have a little bit of food in me. But no, I'm not downing an entire pizza or anything.

I HAVE however been drinking a fuck ton of liquids. Water to stay hydrated. And chocolate milk, cranberry juice to dilute the taste of menthol, but they only work for a few minutes before it comes back.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.