[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So on another board I posted a picture of my self which I edited.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: fuggme.png (311 KB, 645x633) Image search: [Google]
fuggme.png
311 KB, 645x633
So on another board I posted a picture of my self which I edited.

Immediately someone responded with the file name, and also my real life name.

How the fuck did they do that? and did I fuck up big time?
>>
>>16918241

Google EXIF data. It's data pulled from whatever device you took the photo with, which you've often probably registered with a name or something. It can even include location data, if taken with a phone or something. It's easy to clear though.
>>
Did you grab the pic off your facebook?
>>
Well the filename is always right above the image. See? The one you have here is "fuggme.png"

So, was the filename of the image you posted on the other board your real name? If so, you fucked up.
>>
>>16918241

Good practice is to turn off your geo-tagging in your phones camera settings.

Also, fyi, unless somethings changed, 4chan will auto-strip the EXIF data when you post pictures here.
>>
Always when taking a photo from camera or phone use ms paint resave it as a generic name like 123. Photoshop saves the information. Also of it was saved from Facebook it will have numbers that link up to your profile. Ms paint is your friend png that shit.
>>
who cares if you posted a pic here?

unless it was a pic of questionable judgement, like a nood...
>>
>>16918241
It could as simple as a google image search, a fb filename or something that gave you away.
>>
do you really think someones care about that photo? there are millions of pics in internet
>>
Nah. Don't worry.

Also, Facebook photos are tracable.
>>
Metadata is just a fancy name for hidden information inside a file. Here is an example of a simple site that figures out the metadata hidden inside a picture.
http://regex.info/exif.cgi
In extreme cases, some devices have an integrated GPS and if you post a picture from that device then people can post an aerial picture of your house within seconds. It's pretty crazy that stuff like that isn't popular knowledge. Generally, opening a picture in mspaint or some other editor and then saving the picture again will delete the metadata.

Another possibility of something which happened in your case is that the filename was unique (like a string of numbers, or something which includes your real name) and therefore the filename could be googled to find the real picture. Lastly, another possibility is that your picture was not edited enough and that it was possible to do a reverse image search which links to the non-edited version.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.