[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How should I pursue my idea?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: CdKZdCrXEAAw2wk.jpg (33 KB, 583x409) Image search: [Google]
CdKZdCrXEAAw2wk.jpg
33 KB, 583x409
I have an idea for a sort of mulitmedia art project i want to do, but I can't seem to get it off the ground because i'm constantly making revisions to it and i'm nervous to announce something i'm not done with.

I guess my question for you guys is, how / when do you feel satisfied with something you've made? How do you get out of the comfort zone of imagination and make it a reality? How can I tell myself my art is good enough to show to the public? Should i tell some close friends for motivation, or keep it all a secret until i'm eventually satisfied??
>>
Drawing here, when I make a project I set a goal for something I want to improve. Say I really want to improve my rendering skills so I pick a subject I know I have issues with sometimes. An example being skin and armor once I write down what I want to generally accomplish I will brainstorm quick 5 min drawings for the composition of the piece usually I will do 10 of these. Onice I have that I make a pallet mix colours on a layer and then start adding to it. I only find I will scrap a peice if I am not accomplishing my goal of slowly improving.

Do Anon is your goal to get good to show others your work or to get good for yourself? To be happy you need to get good for yourself first and create a base then you can get good to share with others.
If you get good for others first you will never be happy with your work.
>>
>>16918243
>Do Anon is your goal to get good to show others your work or to get good for yourself? To be happy you need to get good for yourself first and create a base then you can get good to share with others.
>If you get good for others first you will never be happy with your work.

well that's the problem. I've worked on things for years and never been happy with them. I have pretty low self esteem and i constantly compare myself to professionals / etc, even if someone tells me it's good i still don't usually believe them. But i'm tired of doing it, i've been doing it forever. I mean ffs, in 9th grade i spent hours upon hours making a minecraft texture pack, and when i was nearly finished i thought it looked bad and basically scrapped the whole thing. Same with every other creative endeavor i've ever done. this one i really want to finish and release but it's really ambitious. It's gonna require more than just me, and i don't know if i want to show off my work to friends who will need to be a part of it.
>>
Analysis paralysis.
That's what keeps me going. It's hard to do something while analyzing it.

>how / when do you feel satisfied with something you've made?
when I finished it and review it. You set your own standard and if you can accomplish that (within the time limit, deadlines) you'll be a happy man. I usually left one day open before deadline for rework or some feedback.

>How do you get out of the comfort zone of imagination and make it a reality?
you just do it. Your comfort zone is the initial state when you do nothing at all and let your mind delude you. As if you had done a perfect version of it inside your head. And you won't work on it because it is perfect in your head. There's this big gaping void between your head and your hand. Even the act of making is a lesson itself.
>idea
>test it out (make it)
>analyze
>if it's bad go back to ideation
>rinse and repeat until you're satisfied or deadlines, whichever comes first

>How can I tell myself my art is good enough to show to the public?
when you're happy with what you do. You can't satisfy people. Even if you get a good crit, if you're not happy with it then it means nothing you.

>Should i tell some close friends for motivation, or keep it all a secret until i'm eventually satisfied??
never, ever show something unfinished to your friend. Like I said, analysis paralysis. Sure it's good to get some feedback, but most of the time they probably don't know what to "suggest" and say things within their own perspective. Only a handful of person give great advice or even get what's inside your head.
Find a person that you can rely on to get good feedback (mentor, senior, artist that you like, etc).
>>
>>16918330
Build your confidence take some courses on the type of art you want to do. /ic/ and /3/ are good try posting in the beginner threads. If someone does not like your stuff who cares you were able to complete it that is all that matters.
>>
>>16918340
Noted, thank you.

>>16918345
Sorry I didn't really specify what kind of art, but there aren't any courses at my community college that really relate. It's kinda hard to describe but imagine it as a film / ARG with elements of fashion, design, etc.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.