[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Be me. Got a college interview for Media Art & Design. The
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
Be me.
Got a college interview for Media Art & Design.
The interview requires a portfolio that "demonstrates drawing skills".

How much should I be putting in this?
Do I only put in the best of the best or do I throw in rough sketches along with the best?

I've spent the last ten years treated like shit for not being a partying-hard boozed & drugged-up social media junkie material douche in both high school and my apprenticeship, getting this course will literally be the first step of me choosing to live the life I want and love.
>>
>>16915848
Yeah, throw in a pencil sketch that's been penned but not cleaned up showing you understand fundamentals and aren't just winging it or relying on software for your final product. Shouldn't be more than 10% of your portfolio.

If they included a phone number you can call and ask them to clarify this.
>>
You're the first person I've ever encountered who wanted to go into art/design and had no clue about the significance of a portfolio.

It suffices to say that you should put 2000% effort into this. But that's not even your biggest concern right now. You desperately need some counseling and guidance. I'm sure you'll be fine on the technical aspect of making art but you seem totally clueless about the pursuit of education and employment in this field. By analogy you sound to me like a person who wants to become a doctor but has no idea what the MCAT is. Please, please go find some resources about this. Spend a whole week reading up on how to compete in school admissions and job applications.
>>
>>16915875
I should've clarified, when they say "drawing skills", they mean just that. What got me concerned was what ratio of inked work/penciled work/rough sketch work/finer sketch work I should put in.

Handy advice though if I was going for the same course a level r two higher, digital imaging (whilst I've got some) was more of a secondary thing they're looking for.

>>16915876

Oh I know the portfolio is the crux of the whole thing, *insert first paragraph from above here*.
>>
There's no exact guidelines on making a portfolio. I think the easiest thing to do is choose the medium (or media) that you're really good at, and show your skills. If you haven't found it, just make something up and invest some time to be good at it. Don't get stuck to the old thinking (i have to be able to draw with pencil, etc), find something that you really feel comfortable and can reflect yourself.

Of course it helps if you get into a class (live painting, etc) just to build your portfolio (and this is sort of the norm to get good A-levels and even some uni had summer school on portfolio building). And do pay attention to the requirements (printed or digital, paper size, are you allowed to bring it, etc)

Find something that you could talk about as well, that supports your personal statement, drive and motivation. Meaning: don't just make for the sake of making. You sort of have to had this awareness of "why you're making it?"

It is not an easy task. But you gotta start somewhere. Here's a great example and probably some tips that might help (or scare) you:
http://www.studentartguide.com/articles/how-to-make-an-art-portfolio-for-college-or-university
>>
>>16915941
Find someone in the program and ask to see the portfolio they used.
>>
>>16915848
God fucking dammit gavin you fucking idiot!!
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.