[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm looking for a bit of film making advice. I'm going
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1
File: aspect_ratio_graphic.png (19 KB, 620x500) Image search: [Google]
aspect_ratio_graphic.png
19 KB, 620x500
I'm looking for a bit of film making advice.

I'm going to be shooting a short film in the next month and I'm curious about what aspect I should shoot in.
It's nothing fancy, just kind of a practice or warm up film before I attempt something a bit bigger. It'll probably go on YouTube and that's about it.

I've been told a few different things about aspect ratios, and I'm not really sure what to think.
From the short lesson I had in college on it, 16:9 is the way to go. However, a few people have also said to shoot in 3:2 or 4:3.

What's the best aspect ratio to shoot in for something like this?
I'll most likely be using a Canon 700D if that makes any difference.

What do you guys think?
>>
My understanding is that youtube is best to do 16:9 on because you don't get black bars (top bottom). But some find that appealing. But obviously you can just add those.
3:2 and 4:3 is going to have them. I don't see the point in shooting like that. It's vine tier aspect ratio choice. It looks terrible on YouTube.

Any specifics about the project?

Also I'm uneducated, I've just played around with server-side video processing and done a few crappy youtube videos. Best video has 11k in 7 years lol.
>>
>>16915141
I was thinking that. I tried a test video in 3:2 and it was sort of boxed in. I suppose it made people view it in wide screen to get the best experience of it.

It's just a short horror thing. I studied film a few years ago and kind of fell away from it with other stuff taking up all my time. I'm going to get back into making shorts, but I'm starting with something easy.
One location, minimum dialogue and two actors. Pretty simple stuff.
>>
>>16915155
Ok. I think that most people who do horror mainly do narrow shots. That's the impression I have. So you want 16:9 most likely (because 4:3 is just ugly so it's not an option) but I find movies that don't follow such conventions to be much more interesting. A wider aspect ratio could be more interesting. More engaging because you're not as used to it. Might even make the impression of he world different. Should probably do some testing and consider this a bit.
I don't know any of the terminology so I can't express what I find appealing well. But my impression of most artsy educations is to teach you what works and what doesn't. It's your excursions into the unknown that are interesting.
Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.