[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you do when you discover your daughter grew up to be
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
What do you do when you discover your daughter grew up to be a beautiful, intelligent, successful young woman with a great life, but she resents the shit out of you for walking out on her landwhale bitch of a mom when she was little? Compound this with her blaming me for almost never seeing her when it was the Michelin Woman always fucking with my attempts at visitation before they moved. I did pay the meager child support payments that were the most my financial situation would allow. Eventually the Michelin Bitch moved out of state for a new job, remarried, and apparently my daughter is close with her stepdad.

tl;dr - daughter that would make any father swell with pride but she hates my guts and some asshole practically took my place. How do I show her I want to set things right?
>>
>>16914618
Set what right?

There's nothing wrong that needs to be set right. It's thanks to her mom and step dad that made her into the girl you're proud of today.

Send her a letter. Be respectful of everyone. You're a stranger, not really her father genetics aside, so don't try and act like one now.
>>
>>16914633
This.

The only thing you can do is ask for her forgivness ... you dont deserve anything
>>
>set right
You want her to be your daughter. Send her a letter explaining this stuff. Obsess over the letter. Make multiple drafts and have someone who understands how important it is to you read the versions.
>>
>>16914618

I can accept all that except making nice with the Michelin Bitch or giving her credit. Trust me, that woman is vile. My daughter's success is more than likely in spite of her.
>>16914654

What else can I say in the letter? I've tried explaining how I feel and my situation after finding her on Facebook but she's been less than receptive, to put it mildly.
>>
>>16914618
You won't get anywhere badmouthing her mother.

Try to establish a newly-defined relationship with this young woman, based on who both of you are now. If (and only if) the subject comes up, you can sincerely apologize for not having been there for her, and say something unjudgmental, like "It is unfortunate that when a couple break up, there is inevitably bitterness on both sides. And that bitterness can spill over into areas where it shouldn't. Because your mother and I couldn't get along, we couldn't agree on a role for me to play in your life. And I will regret that forever."
>>
>>16914618
Dear kid, now that it won't take any work and effort to be there for you, I'd like to be a part of your life.
>>
Ask yourself, what does she need you for?

You bailed on her when she needed you most, now you're coming back when she doesn't need you at all, she'll think you just want to be around because the hard part of raising a kid is over.

She doesn't need a friend, she needs a father and that's pretty done.

If you really want to fix things with her, you need to fix things with her mother first. If that sounds impossible to you, you should probably forget it.
>>
Just be a man and make a new daughter one you raise
>>
>>16914618
You weren't there for her entire life and her success is due to 0% effort from you. You're basically a stranger from the sounds of it so your expectations are unreasonable.

if you want to be involved in her life it's going to take more than badmouthing the woman who raised her and helped her become what she is.
>>
>>16914618
Be humble. Never talk shit of her mother or her step-dad. Tell her you're very sorry. Ask her if you could help her in any way.
She's not your daughter. All you ever gave her is half of her genes and some money. Someone else raised her, loved her, dealt with her issues.
Be as humble as you can and see if she wants you in her life. If she doesn't, respect her choice and walk away.
>>
>>16914693
this is solid advice, OP
>>
>>16914618
Why? I mean you missed all the milestones, you missed teaching her what to look for or avoid in a man. You missed tooth fairy visits and scraped knees. Why would you want to step in and complicate things now?

Get over your anger at her mother. It's childish and in the end you were the one that fucked her, nobody made you. Then if you want to have something, write her a letter. A letter, not email. Explain why you weren't there and what you wish you had been around for. Tell her your feelings. But when blame has to be involved, put it all on you. Don't put that on her mom because at the end of the day she was there when your daughter was sick and throwing up all night and she helped her study and talked her through her first break up. You go to war there and you lose.

You may learn a lot about yourself. But let your daughter dictate the relationship. You had your chance and you blew it. This is her life now.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.