[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are psychologists/psychiatrists/whateve r worth it? I want to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1
File: 1440222871004.jpg (14 KB, 157x181) Image search: [Google]
1440222871004.jpg
14 KB, 157x181
Are psychologists/psychiatrists/whatever worth it?

I want to break out of NEETdom and the mindset that comes with it, as well as overcome some anxiety, but I really don't think I can do it alone.

Should I make the call and get a referral?
>>
I think they can be very useful tools if you let them be.

I had a psychiatrist I met weekly through middle and part of highschool. At that point though I was very reluctant to open myself and so didn't really connect with him. We mostly just sat in silence and then discussed medication dosages at the end. Overall it wasn't very helpful.

My sister on the other hand still has therapy and takes medication, and she's very happy with it. She has a more open personality and really likes the psychologist she meets.

What it comes down to is if you're comfortable with the person. If you decide to see someone don't be afraid to tell them everything, and if a particular person isn't working don't be afraid to switch.
>>
Im sorry but there is no cure for lazy
>>
It's worth it if you stick to your treatment and are honest with them. Also you have to make sure you find someone good - "shopping around" can be helpful to make sure your provider is compatible with you.
>>
>>16914342
They can be, it's usually very hit or miss.

Therapy helps you articulate issues you have, and gives you tools for turning those issues around.
However, you are ultimately the one doing all the legwork and herein lies the greatest problem: you need to want to get better.

I have troubles with psychologists because, half the time, I feel like I SHOULD be miserable and alone, and that fixing it would be an injustice to the world I burden with my existence. That idea is so pervasive with me personally that out of the eight therapists I've seen, seven have told me they can't fix me. The eighth was a possible narcissist who didn't do much else but tell me I was worthless (his idea was to break me down and build me back up, I have considered jumping off the overpass I took to get there after every single visit)

However, I have seen friends improve their lives with therapy, who have had actual trauma in their youth and whatnot, it depends partially on if you're capable or not.

And don't be afraid to switch therapists if you don't feel comfortable with one.
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.