[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Am I making the correct choice?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2
File: 1451454565888.jpg (168 KB, 553x936) Image search: [Google]
1451454565888.jpg
168 KB, 553x936
So I'm going to turn down much higher paying jobs with benefits and higher prestige to take a job test water for pollution and bacteria.

Just to give you an idea of the jobs I'm turning down they're mostly lab tech jobs from huge companies like Melendez and Givaudan that pay somewhere between 36-50 thousand for a job that pays 13 an hour and will be part time until May and I could possibly lose my job in October.

Part of the reason I'm doing this is that it's a very small company, like they had to hire six people just to start this project, I can see that they're having organic growth and they're pretty much much tripling every year, and I also feel like this, environmental work, is something that I deeply care about.

I'm currently sitting on about 13 grand in savings and my student loans won't even come into play until next January and seeing as I live at home and how easy it was to get most of these jobs I don't really see a downside, other than less money, for taking these jobs. My parents haven't tried to talk me out of it either.

I just want to make sure I'm not absolutely crazy for turning down opportunities at these other jobs. I had a job for a short time working as a lab tech at a genetic company and I couldn't stand it as I felt like what I was doing didn't matter. I feel like I'd have the same feeling at these other companies as they're food and fragrance companies and that's not something I'm particular passionate about.

tl;dr I'm passing on much higher paying jobs to take a lower paying one because I'd like it more and would be passionate about it. Am I stupid for doing this?
>>
>>16913282
bump
>>
No one can really answer this for you. You decide.

With 13k in savings you could start investing. That's what I'd do in your position. Take the low paying job and invest to start growing your wealth.
>>
If you didn't like working at BigCo before then yeah, why not. Being able to work for something you believe in definitely helps one sleep at night.

Do it while you're young and without obligations. And make sure you have a job lined up if it looks like things are going south.
>>
File: reagan.jpg (20 KB, 474x305) Image search: [Google]
reagan.jpg
20 KB, 474x305
>>16913282
> lab tech jobs from huge companies like Melendez and Givaudan that pay somewhere between 36-50 thousand
They're hiring? Thanks for the tip.

Do whatever you want. The world always needs the micro version of burger flippers.

Personally, I'd go for the higher paying jobs. But then again I'd give anthrax to little kids for 50k a year. I sleep just fine, thank you.
>>
>>16913282
Better to regret doing something than to regret not doing it.
>>
>>16913282
Let me answer you with my own story.

I'm a teacher. I absolutely love my job.While I'm not paid very much I would secretly do it for less, so fulfilling is it.

I know for a fact that I could make twice as much in the business world. But I consider that the price I am happy to pay to not HAVE to be in the business world. A soul-destroying job is not worth any high pay, and a job that satisfies your soul is well paid at any salary.
>>
>>16913282
Money is not everything.
If you're earning enough and happy what you're doing than you're already richer than most.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.