[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm at a point where I'm choosing which career I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 3
Thread images: 1
File: giphy.gif (500 KB, 500x373) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
500 KB, 500x373
I'm at a point where I'm choosing which career I'm going to be sticking with and won't have a good second chance with whatever I don't take. Its easily the hardest decision I've ever had to make. Basically it's between a really secure long term IT Tech role and a risk at entry into Youth Work.

I don't have a degree and the IT role wouldn't change that. But it's a pretty damn rock solid secure long term position with great experience and flexibility and fantastic access to all sorts of industry certifications which in IT tech roles are vastly more valuable than academic qualifications. IT is something I've always been comfortable with so its in my comfort zone although not something I'm strictly all that passionate about.

The Youth Work route means a lot of risk and effort, 4 years of combined work and study and a big ol' pile of student loan debt, but I would get a degree. I've been volunteering with a youth work organisation for a number of months and found that I quite enjoy it and am better at it than I thought I'd be. Reality is though it's something I do once a week, not a full time role. It's also in a pretty easy going area with a main focus on homelessness and unemployment rather than something intense like inner city gang youth(which I could end up having to work with if I go down this route). I don't really know if I'm cut out for Youth support work full time. I mean I'm an understanding, accepting person who is good at supporting people which is a plus. But I'm also a fairly introverted nerd that lives with his parents and has been browsing 4chan for 10 years, I'm far from the most worldly of people out there and I can be pretty awkward in new social situations before I become used to them. I don't know that I'm really cut out to be a role model, advisor and leader for young people. It seems like a really great cause but it's a lot of risk for something that seems so incompatible with my nature despite my successes as a volunteer.
>>
I appreciate that it's not something other people can really give me the right answer to. But I wanted to throw it out there partly to help gather my thoughts but also to see if other people have perspective on the area that I don't.
>>
>>16913270
You can still volunteer without a degree and do low risk things (which is what seems to be what you're after)

I'd take the IT job. Security for yourself, and you are fine and able to do part time volunteering as well whenever you want. Hell, if you get really into it, you can save up cash from your IT job and start your own volunteer thing that specializes in [choose your topic].
Thread replies: 3
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.