[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
send help >month ago, coworker tells me that other coworker
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: boo 015.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
boo 015.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
send help

>month ago, coworker tells me that other coworker that I rarely ever work with (schedules don't line up) has a crush on me, but apparently she's super shy
>a week ago, ask her out on a date since our schedules finally met up
>go out for drinks, then a day later go out to see a movie
>both times were awesome, had a load of fun and we're both obviously into each other, held hands and chatted about real basic things

Here's the kick: she's fillipino and her English isn't very good, so she can't contribute much to the conversation. It's eating me up inside, because I have a blast spending time with her, and she understands enough English to keep up with what I'm saying, but she has problems expressing exactly what she wants to communicate because of the barrier. For example, she wanted to explain a movie she had watched, but had difficulty even describing the plotline. I can tell she's very intelligent by the hobbies she has, but I can't help but think that this language barrier is a total dealbreaker.

What do? should I just break it off now or hope that she'll eventually get more sophisticated/have better english prowess?
>>
Hang in there OP, she will get better at her English
>>
Watch that series of episodes of Louie where he starts dating a chick from Romania or some shit that can barely speak English.

As long as you have fun doing things, it'll be a good time. Just know communication is crucial so this isn't going anywhere.
>>
>>16913086
>>16913089
I'm more or less afraid that I'll get attached and a year down the road it'll be the same story. everything else about her screams perfect (for me) - submissive, body language, appearance, beliefs.

Expressive communication is just so dang important, idk if it's overlookable.
>>
>>16913175
She'll learn quickly, especially if you help her. Also -- and please don't argue or tell me that you're "no good at languages" -- you should at least make a bit of an effort to learn Tagalog (or whatever her native language is). You don't have to become fluent or anything, but it'd communicate respect for her and probably impress the hell out of her. Asking her to teach you a little bit of her language would be a fun activity for you two to do together, an enormous relief to her, and it'd seriously only take about a month to pick up enough of her language to make communication a little easier between the two of you.

Don't be a goober. This doesn't have to be a big deal at all.
>>
No experience in this but I would stick with her. You don't find someone this perfect every day, and language barriers can be easily come over, especially if she is smart like you say.

Maybe you can put in some works as well (either to actually gain something or to support and encourage her) by learning her language.
>>
>>16913083
Casually ask her to teach you some Tagalog words and build from there, you show interest in her on a deeper level, it will help a lot when you go to visit her home country, possibly family and it will help her improve her English faster, it's literally a win-win-win.
>>
If you're really into her (I'm assuming she speaks Spanish), learn Spanish. It'll show commitment from you, and maybe she'll try to learn more English as well
>>
>>16913083

whats the point of breaking it ofF? i dont believe in dating for the sake of dating, but if you like her, why not see what happens?

i think the big issue with most people these days is they think that if they commit to seeing someone more than a few times then tehy have to try and 'make it work' no matter what. you can just hang out with her until its just not working anymore. there is nothing wrong with that. its not leading her on. its just exploring each other and seeing if there is more to explore.

im in a similar situation. really qt3.14 brazilian. we both basically have to repeat what we are saying several times. but shes cute and really fucking smart (here on an engineering scholarship). adorkable with glasses on, cardio bunny badass with glasses off. i dont quite always know what shes saying, and she doesnt quite always know hwat im saying, but she gets better at the english every day.
>>
>>16913799

>filipino
>i assume she speaks spanish

why tho
>>
>>16913175

the real question is, how long has she been here / studying english.

her skill level + amount of time shes been here shoudl tell you how fast she'll be learning and catching on.

if a year from now you havent imploded but its simply not wokring, break up with her then.

but until it actually makes you feel like you arent connecting with this person, why not just hang out and have fun? once the 'big commitment' roadstops come, make a decision there
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.