[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How to stop being boring and awkward?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: 1456702135797.gif (4 MB, 368x407) Image search: [Google]
1456702135797.gif
4 MB, 368x407
So I'm awkward. And boring. I know it, and so does everyone else. I only really get passionate about science and Lord knows there aren't too many men let alone women that are happy to talk about that for extended periods of time. I'm 25 and I don't want to be this way though, especially not awkward. I don't even know what it is that I do or do not do that makes me such an awkward person, so I don't know how to fix it. All I know is that I am. Has anyone else been here before and turned it around?
>>
I was pretty autistic in high school and I still feel the ripple effects of cringe and irl memeing from the dumb stuff I did so I guess I can kinda relate.
The big difference is though, that I signed my rights away to Uncle Sam and in return, I've learned a lot about social etiquette and I've been a lot more comfortable around people.
I think the biggest thing that you should focus on though, is that, while I understand that science is your passion, you should hold off on going on about it.
Save it for people that share your passion for science, and for others, you're gonna have to talk in normie tongues. Even if you think you're boring, it's still very possible to be nice and approachable.
People really appreciate it when you ask questions about them, but don't get too intrusive. Start out by being the nice guy and even if you don't care, attempt to give a shit about other people.
>>
>>16912808
/adv/ is absolutely shit at giving advice. They're just going to give you a non-answer.
>>
>>16912808
My friend and i had the same problem. We were both too sperg for a regular social life. He found the solution before me, however (we were both very passionate about science, the universe is a magnificent super structure. I really don't understand how one could not be) .

It's really simple, it just takes a bit of time and practice on everyday people. Just fake it. Fake confidence, pretend you aren't awkward, this is basically lying to yourself until you believe it. It was effective for both of us.

I understand how it can be awful, but I personally don't think its worth the trouble. The feeling when you find someone you can "connect" with without changing will be somewhat dampened if you try to change. You'll probably find someone m8, I did after all. and I'm a boring, socially inept cuck.
>>
>>16912974
What this guy said. It's like faking a smile can actually make you feel better so in turn you really smile. Don't know how true that is but you know
>>
>>16912974
Not OP, how do you do that when ypu've been working with (roughly) the same people for 2 years and suddenly change tact? I mean, if I do not go to work, I don't meet anyone.
>>
IDK, i'm an outsider but at my university, the science and engineer guys get on really well talking about science stuff. I think once you get the hang of it with nerd dudes, you'll get better at it with non-science people.
Also, you can try to find a middle-ground that other people like talking about but you also find interesting at least a little bit (TV shows, news, you got it)

Others might think different, but personally I like hearing about science (but not looking it up myself), so I would totally enjoy talking with someone who would talk me science. Does that not work for you irl?

Maybe it's not the topic of science itself, but the way you present yourself? And that can be easily fixed with the help of self-improvement instructions on the internet.
>>
>>16913205
I don't think he's at uni anymore.
>>
>>16913011
I'm not sure what this changes. It'll be slightly harder, because you think they have a character in mind for you already, but I do not see that as a something that could hold you back. Movies often show the "new you" trope often. I assume they will think you are doing that
>>
>>16913215
Actually I'm a graduate student. My peers talk science with me sometimes but are usually quick to change the topic to the Oscar's or whatever. The Oscar's and things like that really bore me but I listen anyways. These people are basically part of my professional life so I don't tell them about my personal life and don't involve myself in theirs.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.