[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do Stuff Sunday
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 7
File: spike.jpg (42 KB, 958x720) Image search: [Google]
spike.jpg
42 KB, 958x720
These threads never work, but whatever. The idea here is that all the fags trying to not be lazy anymore, e.g.:

>>16911087
>>16911564

Do stuff together and update each other on their progress every 30 mins to an hour. So basically, come into this thread and say "I am going to do x for three hours." Then update us on whether or not you are actually sticking to it.
>>
>>16911751
Not a usually lazy person, but I really don't want to start on my senior thesis. Been putting it off for two months. It's due in a month. Have 16 pages to go. I've got my outline, and I'm going to start on some of the paragraphs I care most about. Will keep going until I run out of good ideas. See you later, bros!
>>
well, i'm going to put my son to bed, then clean the kitchen and take a shower, do some meditation and reading. i also have some texts i need to answer and i try to avoid that.
>>
I need to take a shower and get some laundry done.
>>
>>16911751

I am going to program for three hours straight. I need to get some database models written.
>>
>>16911770
you need to report back in 30 ins. those things don't take too long anon...
>>
>>16911776
Thanks for the motivation.....you haven't seen my piles of laundry. This is an all day task if I'm going to get it all done.
>>
>>16911784
baby steps anon. make the goal to just sort it for now.
>>
>>16911759
kitchen cleaned, son in bed. neat
>>
I'm going to read a book for three hours. It's better than jacking off or Netflix. Plus I've already worked out today. Updates sound like fun
I like this thread.
>>
>>16911798
Sending texts i procrastinated: check
>>
>>16911805
What are you going to read?
>>
>>16911825
>>16911825
The collected stories of Deborah Eisenberg
I just put a snack together and I'm putting on some instrumental music.
See you space cowboy
>>
>>16911772

My first 30 min check in. Don't read, boring as fuck.

0:05: Started
0:05 - 0:14: Took a shit, made tea, opened up IDE and Database manager. Realized what I planned out isn't going to work.
0:14 - 0:30: Looked up some time span shit to store intervals of time. Was just going to store as integers before, which is probably retarded. Realized I should probably Jon Skeet's book already and stop pretending I know what's going on. Wasted some time reading stackoverflow answers on how to store TimeSpan, and most people recommend storing the number of seconds in integers instead of using TimeSpan, since it's easier. And here I thought I was being clever. Also went on a tangent reading about int vs long, apparently there is virtually no reason to use int anymore. 20 minutes wasted.
>>
This thread is cool.

I was just thinking about how I should be doing things instead of shitposting.

I'm gonna go brush my teeth, brb.
>>
gonna install a security camera that I bought about a year ago and left sitting in a closet.
>>
>>16911831
Enjoy. And report back
>>
>>16911841
I brushed my teeth and scooped the cat box while I was in the bathroom. Taking the trash out now.
>>
>>16911833
Well, i wouldn't call it "wasted". You figured out that it's not going to work the way you intended. Now find a different solution. Don't just give up.
Going to namefag for this thread
>>
>>16911868
Yay anon! Godspeed! I also picked up the legos and tidied the living room
>>
>>16911843
How long will this take you?
>>
>>16911770
>>16911797

Took a shower, sorted laundry, first load in the wash now. Still have two clean loads of laundry from last weekend to fold....I'm making progress though.
>>
>>16911877
Neat anon! Start now, imagine how good it will feel when all the laundry is folded.
>>
Learned to play the first verse and hook of "Like a Rolling Stone".
>>
0:30 - 0:40: Wrote some shit-code.
0:30 - 0:50: Hung up / folded up my laundry which was just piled on my bed after being washed and was triggering me. Got a good idea while doing so. I really need to throw away useless shit that's in the closet. Waste of time every time.
0:50 - 1:00: Put away some books I wasn't using and went through puled up paperwork. It's funny how once you start doing something productive, you become autistic.
--------
Programming time so far: 15 minutes/hour

>>16911870

Yea, I agree, better than nothing. I find this to be the case often - when you go for hard shit, suddenly other boring, but semi-productive is way more appealing. I could just be posting and not doing shit at all.

>>16911900

Sweet, music is the one thing I never even gave an attempt. Shit's awesome though.
>>
>>16911910

Btw, related:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1CYncXkCv4
>>
>>16911910
Great! Sounds like you already accomplished a lot!
>>
File: IMG_20160313_161238.jpg (738 KB, 1936x1936) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160313_161238.jpg
738 KB, 1936x1936
>>16911868
okay so i took the trash out and did some dishes, pic related

now i'm going to pick the clothes up off my bedroom floor
>>
>>16911872
good for you!! (:

>>16911877
ooo i love clean laundry <3
>>
>>16911958

Like a baws.
>>
>>16911910
Music is the only honest thing that has happened to my life. Worth keeping it.

Hope you get some more work done for today. Feels good to share success rather than shame for a change.
>>
In two hours I need to clean up my room. It is a total mess.
>>
>>16912012
Start picking up the trash is always the best "opening" imho.
>>
>>16911877
Ok, folded both clean loads from last weekend. Flipped the load that was in the washer into the dryer, and have a new load in the wash. Feeling productive! Thanks for all the positivity!

Now what to do while I'm waiting on the next load to dry....
>>
>>16911918
This is great!
>>
File: IMG_20160313_164138.jpg (706 KB, 1936x1936) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160313_164138.jpg
706 KB, 1936x1936
Now I've cleaned the stove, refilled the humidifier, and picked the clothes off the floor.

I'm going to carry some donation clothes across the street now.
>>
>>16912021
agreed

>>16912022
yes!!!!!! good for you (:
>>
>>16912070
No one cares tripfag
>>
did the dishes
cleaned the kitchen, disinfected everything.
cleaned the kitchen floor
picked up the living room
vacuumed the whole apartment
threw away all the garbage
cleaned up the bedroom and organized
dusted
cleaned the bathroom, disinfected everything.

still gotta do laundry, build a website, do about 2 hours worth of paperwork, put together some other paperwork, go to the store, and go to the gym.
>>
>>16911910

1:00 - 1:05: Waste time.
1:05-2:00: Wrote a lot of code, pretty productive.

>>16912099

"Cares" is relative. Sure, nobody is impressed by me writing some shitty code or anon cleaning his stove. But for some reason it's comforting for people to see their "accomplishments", however minor, so in that sense, I am glad anon is doing something, and I "care".
>>
>>16912106

If you need help with website, holla atchoboi.

Having all your maintenance shit done is a good basis for being productive.
>>
>>16912106
interesting note, recent studies have shown that making lists leads to less of the list being completed for most people. it leads to a really weird sense of accomplishment coming from simply acknowledging the tasks and organizing them into a priority list. then you finish a few and go, "well I accomplished a lot today" when in reality you may have done the smallest tasks and be attributing success to mental organization and the release of chemicals from the feeling of doing "something"

also the "but look how much I have to do" effect contributes to a feeling that you don't have enough time and have to leave some of it for another day.

something to be aware of if you're trying to be productive.
>>
>>16912128
>>16912106
these are both me.

another really good productivity tip, music. at least for me, listening to the right music makes me nigh on unstoppable as far as getting stuff done.
>>
>>16912128

I would want to see that study. I know of studies showing that talking about something makes you less likely to accomplish it and gives you a false sense of accomplishment, but I have not heard this about lists.

For me, lists have been good for these shitty menial tasks - clean room, iron clothing, change oxygen sensor on car, do taxes, etc.

For really productive stuff, you need to zone out and really get into it, which is a hard state to get into in the first place and it's relatively hard to break it down into little pieces, but sometimes it's also worth doing so.

I do know where you are coming from, but again, I haven't seen it applied to lists.

Also, I think planning next day out before bed is the best, because having to do it doesn't seem real, whereas if you plan out stuff you have to do in the next 5 mins, you are somehow more aware that you need to do the work and are reluctant to even write it down.
>>
>>16912145

Since we are on studies, music basically reduces your awareness of time and what you are doing, so tedious tasks seem less tedious.

Music is shown to be counter-productive for thinking-intensive tasks, but it can make something like changing brake-pads or washing the floor pass quicker and more pleasantly.
>>
>>16912106
w0w
that's excellent

>>16912149
planning my day the night before works well for me
i agree with what he said about the lists- ive found that it makes me feel that way. but i also can't avoid using lists- i have to write it down so I know what to do.
>>
I donated the clothes, fed the cat, and now I'm starting the second round of dishes
>>
>>16912149
>I know of studies showing that talking about something makes you less likely to accomplish it and gives you a false sense of accomplishment
I know exactly which one you're talking about, it was related to that one. if I remember right I found it on flipboard and there was a link to an article on the list one at the bottom. I don't ever store any of them. here's something kinda related http://www.lifehack.org/articles/productivity/why-to-do-lists-dont-work-and-done-lists-do.html.

similar to a mode of thinking I've discussed on adv before where instead of negatively stating tasks, i.e. "I can't go do x fun thing with friends because I have to clean the house" you take responsibility for it and state your priorities i.e. "I want to clean my place first and then I'll meet up with friends". helps you be more productive and you'll often find that task wasn't mutually exclusive to the fun thing.

>>16912155
exactly

another thing that seems to help me, opening all the blinds and whatnot. if any of you are like me and tend to keep all the drapes and blinds closed, try opening them up. dunno why, but I clean faster and feel more energetic.
>>
>>16912022
Ok, folded first load of laundry from today. Second load in the dryer, third load in the wash.
>>
Doin' it!! (cleaning room) and watching "To Sir With Love"
>>
>>16911861
>>16911831
>>16911805
>>16911825
Yep I did read the book. I'm about 20 pages in and that's 20 pages more than I did the last couple weeks. I did get anxious even though I liked the book. The first one takes place in NYC and the main character is a honest and a bit neurotic woman. Not much of a story, but nice dialogue. I was not able to finish the story at the time. So I had some celery and hummus to curb myself and then I went for a walk. I just finished making dinner. I stayed off electronic garbage for a couple of hours so it looks like I did accomplish some good things. Miles Davis is still playing and it's still nice outside. I might finish the story today, but I'd like to do less screen watching mainly. The more I try that the more activities I can see myself doing
>>
>>16912193

Read, but don't have anything to add.

I coded some more, but then ended up doing stuff like shaving, scrubbing my face (no homo), etc.

I really need to pick one between my two projects and it's killing me. Fucking work tomorrow ahhhh.

Going to do more stuff this evening but not sure if I will be back to report on it.

If not, good run everyone, maybe do this again next weekend.
>>
File: IMG_20160313_175603.jpg (716 KB, 1936x1936) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160313_175603.jpg
716 KB, 1936x1936
>>16912271
>>16912294
>>16912319
good for you guys (:

I did these dishes. Only 6 mason jars and 2 sheet pans left
>>
I guess I'll finally get my laundry done and organize my clothes.

No work to get done but I'm broke after getting my car worked on. I'll be late on rent and it's been raining for 3 days straight so I need stuff to do inside.
>>
File: IMG_20160313_180809.jpg (545 KB, 1936x1936) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160313_180809.jpg
545 KB, 1936x1936
Sorted my vitamins for the week

>>16912342
you could try those survey things online where they pay you like $3 to do a 5 minute survey
>>
>>16912377

Whoah, what are you doing? Are you one of those people following those anti-aging vitamin routines?

Why not just a multi-vitamin?|
>>
I need to do
>one page weekly paper (already late - 3 hour absolute deadline)

I don't need to do these by today, but by this week:
>write 3 page essay
>create 5 min presentation
>start project due in 12 days.
>>
>>16912271
I thought this thread was dead, but I'm still doing laundry....it's never ending. one load left to go in.
>>
File: Screenshot_20160313-190313.png (1 MB, 1080x981) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160313-190313.png
1 MB, 1080x981
>>16911874
just finished!
so like 4 hours lol, but it's my first install.

sorry for not checking in, this was a fucking pain every step of the way.
>>
>>16912825
Nice work!
>>
File: IMG_20160313_194720.jpg (886 KB, 1936x1936) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160313_194720.jpg
886 KB, 1936x1936
I just called my chiropractor to give them my insurance before my appointment tomorrow. I love it when they crack the whole spine hnnng.

Found the UPS store online and got my stuff ready to ship back to amazon.

Did the last of the dishes!!! Counter is clean.

Now I'm going to order a backup pair of my favorite shoes.
>>
Slow going b/c I had to put a lot of wintery clothes in storage, doing laundry, etc. but I'm seeing the end of the tunnel here!
>>
>>16912546
Yeah I'm pretty serious about my vitamins. I have to say it makes a massive difference in how I feel when I take them. Not sure what effect this will have on aging.

I take a multi, (Whole foods' brand, it's easier on my tummy). In addition, I take

- B complex (6 and 12) good for energy in the morning

- Magnesium 500mg (taking B12 depletes your magnesium because they bind together, so you have to take both)

- Fish oil megadose (10 1200mg pills containing 360mg omega-3s each) this is good for brain function, and aids in building connective neural tissue.

- 500mg vitamin C

- L-Lysine (amino acid, apparently good for you, dont know much about it other than it's not harmful)

- Sam-e 400mg (supplement to support emotional wellbeing. ive found im much, much happier and have an easier time bouncing back from upsetting situations when i take this)

- vitamin D-3 (d-2 isnt absorable by the body, i take 50,000 iud d3 every day)

- biotin (hair and nail supplement)

>>16912613
proud of you (:

>>16912593
you can do the thing

>>16912825
thats cool! good idea. i thought about getting a discreet one to see if my landlord comes in the apartment when im not here. but i dont really care that much so
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.