[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>all apartments are ridiculously overpriced >impossible
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: 1456807337227.jpg (58 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1456807337227.jpg
58 KB, 640x640
>all apartments are ridiculously overpriced
>impossible to find roommates who aren't coked out psychos

How do people who aren't rich survive in this country? I completely understand why so many people are struggling in this country now.
>>
>>16910099
Save, prioritize, good paying job. Making $40k a year. NoVA enough to survive and then some. Sometimes I do get into situations but I pull through. Also more of that there lady if you got some
>>
>>16910107
What's NoVA?
>>
My parents are rich and bought me a place and fully support me while I go to school, so I can't really complain, that's how I survive. But most people I know who live together were friends with their roommates way before the moved in together. And it's often about 3 people sharing a 1 bedroom apartment. Sorry to hear about your struggle though, I blame corrupt politicians though. A small one bedroom apartment in my city now costs 500k and an average shitty house is 2 million dollars. It's just not right. Even if you work your ass off full time, average people will never afford a decent house.
>>
Have you checked craigslist? Lots of listings for apartments on there.

Remember: You can haggle the rent! The list price is like sticker price on cars. If you tell the landlord that you're interested in moving in ASAP, but can't afford the rent, ask if he can do 100$ less per month. Sometimes they'll agree.
>>
I've heard that this really depends on the city that you live in.

I live in St. Louis and I previously had a roommate and we lived in a $600/mo place together and that was really affordable. After gas, electric, internet, trash, etc. it all came down to around $900 total, so $450 each. If you make minimum wage here (7.65) then you make 1326/mo (about 1060 after taxes). That's a pretty sweet deal. Finding a roommate can be hard though. I live alone now and my rent is 425/mo. I just moved in but I'm guessing I'm not going to spend more than $100 on utilities and my internet bill is only $50. Even if I end up spending $600 on my living space a month I can still manage to make ends meet.

Before I started working like 50+ hours a week I made ends meet by not having car insurance or healthcare (I just got healthcare for the first time since I was a child twelve days ago).
>>
>>16910115
Northern VA
>>
>>16910099
>finish college no debt
>live with gf's and her parents
>make 65k a year

If I was on my own I'd be paying 1/3rd of that on having a two bedroom apt, I pay 1/3 to government + healthcare now, and last 1/3 needs to go into retirement and probably wont be enough especially if any health issues, car accidents or the like occur.

So I'm statistically atypical and barely making it.

Its fucked. You need other people to survive and get ahead. There is a reason family/upbringing is the top predictor of life long success. You need those handouts/help and the advice.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.