[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Bioengineering undergrad to comp eng grqd
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: K32XT35.png (1001 KB, 601x638) Image search: [Google]
K32XT35.png
1001 KB, 601x638
I came into college with no idea of what I was doing. Halfway into a Biology degree I realized that this wouldn't work for me, so I switched to the only engineering I could realistically do, Biomolecular Engineering. I will finish this degree and a Molecular Biology degree in the next year, with a minor in Bioinformatics.

I absolutely hate biology. The subject matter is interesting, but after working in labs and getting an idea of what actually goes on, I realize that I will be miserable in this position. I've been working an IT job on the side and I enjoy it much more. I've fallen in love with computer science, especially data sciences and more esoteric topics like machine learning.

I've tailored my electives towards mathematics (mainly upper division statistics like stochastics, bayesian inference), and computer science (introductory programming classes like logic design, assembly, and a few computational biology courses). I was looking at some classes I could take that would be interesting and closer to what I want to study in graduate school, like Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence, but I don't think I'll be able to take the prerequisites in a realistic time frame.

When comparing the courses I've taken to those of computer science/engineers at my school I definitely am lacking in terms of CS courses. Some notable ones I saw were, Discrete Math, Intro to Data Structures, Computer Architecture, an upper division algorithm and abstract data course, and elective specialization within the major (ie. systems programming, robotics, networks etc.).

I do have the option to take a graduate level algorithmic and programming class for bioinformatics in python (which would satisfy Bioengineer major requirements), but I would need to take, two lower division CS classes (C and intro to data structures). If I were to do this, I would probably have to drop the Biology degree.

with this info could I do CE grad?
>>
This is hard to follow but my recommendation would be to study what you want to study as long as switching majors doesn't delay you excessively. I never switched out of biology but I hated it and realized that too late so I would get out while you can, even if it means taking an extra year.

CS->CE is doable and I think BioEng ->CE is doable as well. Those sound like lower division or easy classes anyway, and I know discrete was easy as shit.

Don't take grad classes if it means finishing late. Finish your degree and get out. You can always change your mind later the most important thing is having that piece of paper. My housemate is a senior data scientist and told me I could use my degree and experience to get into machine learning just fine and all I've done is GIS and have a bio degree.
>>
Why CE and not CS? Or a Data Science masters?
>>
>>16909611
No preference honestly. Just want to study machine learning and/or data sciences in grad.

>>16909606
Taking the graduate class won't set me back at all, it would fit in to my degree as it satisfies a requirement amongst a list of options. I might have to drop the biology degree if I do that though.
>>
>>16909627
Drop it in favor of what degree?

If you don't like biology anymore and you won't get delayed at all then gtfo man. Don't make the same mistake I did.
>>
CE dropout here. If you want to succeed you either need to be very fast, or very organized (both qualities in terms of academics and studying).
Also how are you, in terms of keeping contact with professors? -in some universities, it's practically more important than understanding the material and this also applies heavily to CE courses
>>16909606
this also is good advice
>>16909611
because jobs, duh. CS majors are for hipsters.
>>
>>16909631
Just know that grad classes are generally harder and take up more of your time than undergrad. They told me to take 4-5 undergrad classes but if I was going to consider a grad classes then weigh it the same as at least 2 undergrad just in case.
>>
>>16909631
True. I'm literally two classes away from graduating in Molecular Biology. The next year is for biomolecular engineering. Do you still think it's not worth it knowing this?
>>
>>16909651
Just to clarify, you're trying to pick between graduating in a semester in molecular bio or take another year out for biomolecular engineering?

Or is it that you want to get a second degree? If you want to study computers really badly then go with engineering. The difference sounds like more CAD less microscope but idk.

I think BioEng as an industry is growing but it's pretty specific. I feel like molecular bio could help in the job search a bit but either way you're talking about being in labs and offices all the time and if you don't like those right now then you'll learn to hate it.
>>
>>16909582
College is a business. The career advisors will tell you whatever you want to hear to keep you paying them money.

If you are not interested in your major, switch out and get a degree in what you are actually interested in. There's lots of work for programmers and data analysts (just look on Lockheed Martin career section)
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.