[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>suddenly get promoted to management at work >suddenly
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: 1336231182251.jpg (103 KB, 555x475) Image search: [Google]
1336231182251.jpg
103 KB, 555x475
>suddenly get promoted to management at work
>suddenly realize I'm not very close with my coworkers, and it's driving me insane

The other managers always have other department workers come up and talk a bit, even the store heads come down and talk. They don't with me, and I guess it's because they knew me when I hired in years ago and was painfully awkward, though I'm more outspoken/confident now but still slightly awkward at times.

I'm trying to speak through actions mores, like easing up work loads and letting people go early if the day calls for it, but other than that it just feels like I sit at my desk and wait. I like to go and talk with them or do shit with them, but it rarely goes well since I never know what to say. Only my very close friends really come to me. For the most part, everyone just kind of sits around in bland spirits.

How do I even handle getting along and being more outgoing with coworkers? Ignoring it seems bad, since I basically need to have decent relations with everyone. I asked my superior and she just kind of said "oh it's no problem" though desu she suffers from similar issues. It's a grocery store, if anyone's curious
>>
Stop trying to be everyone's friend.
>>
>>16909469
Not really trying to, just trying to get along well enough. The other managers are really outgoing and everyone loves talking with them, I feel like I need to start working towards that.
>>
>>16909480
Then you're comparing yourself to others. Stop it. You are not going to find self-worth by looking for it in other people.
>>
>>16909483
I guess you're right about the comparing thing, though it's not about self-worth and more of just wanting to manage better. I'm thinking in a rigid "If I'm going to work leading people, they should like me enough to take directions" mindset.

Either way, maybe I've got it wrong in some areas. Might just transition into a stoic-but-approachable manager or some shit, but I'll at least give it more thought.
>>
From what I've observed, supervisors like managers who handle their department and don't make trouble that they have to deal with.

Make that happen and you'll be fine.
>>
Worry about being a good manager.

When you're a good manager the other things will happen
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.