[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
so i was offered a job in IT from a friend who works there. she
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: skeleton-cobwebs-waiting.jpg (7 KB, 207x228) Image search: [Google]
skeleton-cobwebs-waiting.jpg
7 KB, 207x228
so i was offered a job in IT from a friend who works there. she put in a good word, and now they want my resume and a phone interview right away. i'm 20 years old, and have no college education. my first job was at 15, and i still have that same job. it's as a chef, so nothing to do with IT.
HOWEVER, i've been studying computer science/engineering since i was 12. i've sort of been the IT guy for my local town my entire life.
how do i put that on a resume?
i'm at a loss...
>>
File: 1457141538906.gif (1 MB, 384x216) Image search: [Google]
1457141538906.gif
1 MB, 384x216
bump
>>
File: 1456985504589.gif (447 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
1456985504589.gif
447 KB, 500x333
bump ;-;
>>
That's a bit tougher.

Best case scenario you could do the A+ or something cert related really fast but that would be like a month at least.

You can say you're enrolled in classes or was in the past if you aren't totally lying.

You can also mention interests, aptitude, willingness to learn, and other stuff.
>>
>>16908476
i've got until april 9th. that's the latest i can get this done. if i cram do you think i can get the cert?
i'm working on my HDI DST so worst case i can get a helpdesk job.
i have experience with repairing hardware. i know linux (unbuntu, mint) and windows like the back of my hand.
just trying to prove it, is going to be hard.
>>
Create a skills section and give it a bullet point list of all the useful stuff you can do. Describe them in your best business language.
>>
>>16908501
You need to know what you're applying for since it's a pretty specialized field with a lot of diversity.

What kind of work does this company do? Are they a repair shop? Help desk support? Something more specialized? Tailor your resume and certification study to that. It won't help as much to know a bunch about tech support when you could be doing sales or some shit.

If they are very specialized, you will know in the phone interview in case you can't tell from your friend. The questions will be really specific with lots of acronyms.
>>
>>16908528
right, so i asked. it's a fairly big office.
she wants me to apply for helpdesk.
so now having said that, i've only had one job.
what kind of questions are they going to ask?
>>
>>16908582
I've never worked in help desk but it seems like where everyone starts in IT. You want to be at this company because it's probably you're best shot at IT.

The questions will be more general in nature. They will probably ask about how personable you are. If you can operate a computer pretty proficiently and can keep cool when people are yelling at you. You'll probably spend a few months just resetting passwords and stuff for people who can barely get past checking their email.
>>
>>16908594
is it actually that easy?
???????
>>
>>16908594
Also, you can read this for some insight:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ITCareerQuestions/wiki/index
>>
>>16908605
I'm half-joking but understand that you will be dealing with a lot of repetitive tasks and be on a computer all day long. If you aren't qualified to handle a task then you'll pass it up to the level 2 guy, until they give you more freedom and responsibility.

Make sure to ask lots of questions and be willing to take on new tasks. Also your pay isn't likely going to be great at the start (expect ~$12-15/hour entry level).
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.