[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why am I unemployable? I graduated in August of 2015 and have
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: 1454612979805.png (345 KB, 679x377) Image search: [Google]
1454612979805.png
345 KB, 679x377
Why am I unemployable?

I graduated in August of 2015 and have been looking for a job since then. I've heard all the shit about getting experience and all that fucking nonsense which is why I was a working student for two and a half years as a student manager and did a bunch of HR shit, anything you could feasibly call HR is something I've done. I joined one of those organizations with executives and businessmen and shit. None of them work in places that are hiring or have opening I'm qualified to do.

I'm not an idiot, and I've been applying to entry/associate level positions that require 1-3 years of experience, stuff like recruiting, HR generalists, admin and clerical positions.

I have a LinkedIn and I apply to jobs all the time. I have written 6 or so cover letter templates that I add and remove from whenever I apply to something. Recently I've started trying to add all the job posters i can find on LinkedIn or calling them to follow up since I've only ever had one e-mail returned and it was a rejection.

I will concede my grades were mediocre, but I haven't been asked for my grades ever.

I went to several temp agencies and none of them have ever found a role for me.

The only interviews i've been invited to are for marketing positions (i.e. go door-to-door and peddle this shit, and it's 100% commission so we won't guarantee a wage) and to sit with headhunters for the temp positions they can't, won't or don't place me in.
>>
pls respond
>>
What are you shooting for? whats your vision?
>>
>>16908587
>>16908587
Like I said, I'm applying to entry/associate level positions in HR and Office Support roles. I don't know if I'm doing myself a disservice by putting my ethnicity (Black) down or not. I've been doing so thinking I'd be a good diversity hire but I don't know anymore.

Ultimately I want to be able to afford graduate school, I majored in linguistics wanting to go into Forensics but I'm not married to the idea and it seems less and less feasible the longer I go unemployed.
>>
>>16908600
I have no idea what those are, sorry for wasting your time.
>>
Welcome to the current job climate.

Don't give up having dreams, but please realise that you're going to have to fight through a lot of rejection to get a good job. It's just how it is.
>>
>>16908600
Are you a male? Seems like most HR positions are white females
>>
>>16908630
Yes, I am male.
I am inclined to agree with you based on what I've seen thus far but that's something that can't be helped. My name gives away my gender either way
>>
Why. do you want to work in HR. Seems like a position youd end up in, rather than work towards.
>>
>>16908674
It's not like it's my lifelong dream, I'm just already suited for that type of work and I need money.
>>
>>16908748
Maybe that sort of work is really rare?
>>
>>16908753
HR work is not a rare by any means. It encompasses everything from sourcing talent to making sure everyone is paid. Usually managers or owners do it in really small businesses, but medium to large ones have dedicated staff.

I don't see how that's relevant since I only apply to positions that have advertised vacancies, of which, rest assured, are many. If it's relevant I live in New York City. I unfortunately can't commute too far outside of since I live in the bronx and don't have a car.
>>
I'm in the same boat, dude. Labor still has no power in the job market, I applied to an entry level HR gig (one of the areas I'm exploring) and I was rejected even though I have like 3 years of management level HR-related work (from a different field though so might be sort of a stretch, I admit). Apparently 150 people applied to this job though, which is sort of the problem.

Diversify your job search, I guess? What else you got going for you?
>>
>>16908769
Like I said, I've called up some staffing agencies. So far only two who invited me to come in person seem like they might be interested in placing me anywhere.

I've had a handful of phone interviews and a bunch of shitty marketing people keep trying to recruit me, but nothing has stuck so far. It could be the case that people are turned off by the fact that I haven't worked in over six months, I don't know if I can spin that successfully.
>>
>>16908392

Sometimes it just takes a while. For some it only takes a few months, for others, a year or more.

All you can do is keep applying, and apply for everything you see, unless you're extremely underqualified. Apply for jobs out of state and check the "willing to relocate" box.

Good luck and don't give up.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.