[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm currently a statistics major and I'm not doing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: 1426813301991.png (493 KB, 750x750) Image search: [Google]
1426813301991.png
493 KB, 750x750
I'm currently a statistics major and I'm not doing so well in one of my major courses. I've been thinking about switching over to nursing, but people have been telling me to stick with statistics.

I don't think I can live my life sitting in front of computer screen, while for nursing I'd be making an actual difference in people's life.

I'm hesitant to switch over because my so said he wouldn't be as impressed with me if I did nursing instead of statistics. What would you do?
>>
>>16908120

Nurses seem to be a common appearance on okCupid. Along with fat women, single moms, and religious fanatics.

Stats is tough. You will probably need to couple it with the Actuarial exams or at least SAP/some coding to make $.

I dunno if nursing is still well paid, but from what I understood it's dropping back to the levels of a shit job.
>>
>>16908151
Other way actually,

boomers are starting to retire and they need healthcare providers to meet that need
>>
>>16908151
I've had some experience with using R, API, Web scraping, SQL and Regex. But not being able to find an internship while also doing bad in class has really made me emotionally unstable.
>>
>>16908159

That was like 10 years ago though - field was getting saturated and everyone jumped to it. Nurses could make something like $100,000 for a while, then they started piling a bunch of certifications on it because there was so much interest.

Then there are the night shifts and the shit cleaning.
>>
>>16908159
This. My sister is a nurse and she said in the next 5-10 years the boomers are set to retire
>>
>>16908165

You can always make the jump to Software Development - women in a 99% male industry with a degree = mucho bux from Google and Microsoft. We recently asked a friend of ours if she wants to come work with us for $80,000 and she just laughed in our faces. Feels bad man.
>>
>>16908167

Boomers are still retiring

Nursing is great wen you are at a master level (25+ years) and are specialized.

Grunt work will always be hard but its still enogh to make a living off
>>
>>16908184
Nursing seems stable which is another reason why I'm interested
>>
>>16908183
Assuming in good enough for that.
>>
>>16908202

People overestimate the difficulty of these fields.

>>16908184

> master level (25+ years)

lol, just go to the military and retire at 40 at that point, holy shit.
>>
>>16908208
Oh really? What do you do for a living?
>>
>>16908213

Janitor.
>>
>>16908196
As long as there's doctors, there will always be nurses.

Illness is constant. So it is quite stable, yes.
>>
>>16908221
So how would you know the difficulty level of these jobs?
>>
>>16908226

https://embed.plnkr.co/RX8C8YBl0jzkq6cXskgr/
>>
>>16908221
So why a janitor?
>>
>>16908256

It's stable. I don't have to take my work home with me. All the baby boomers retiring need house keepers. It's going to drive salaries up. I am bullsh on janitorial career options.
>>
>>16908265
This can be easily said for nursing
>>
b
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.