[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I become a good person, how do I stop being selfish and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: Mark.jpg (62 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Mark.jpg
62 KB, 640x480
How do I become a good person, how do I stop being selfish and living solely for myself, and thinking solely of myself,
>>
Being honest this is just human nature. If you want to help with it, try just randomly giving out to people. Force yourself to help them. Can develop a sense of empathy.
>>
>>16905841
Having a pet helps.
>>
Read the Bible.
>>
>>16905841
Good for society or good for the spirit? Two different paths, both to happiness.

I feel the two schools of thought regarding happiness are split into physical and philosophical. Which do you want to reach?

Both are overlapping in the end, but the paths are separate. For example, physical happiness(whats good for society) would be creating a moral and just family of people that will better the human population. Be a good lover, dad, and man and your children and family will love you. In turn you'll gain spiritual happiness.
The other path, disconnecting from physical desires and vices. Digging into oneself and finding peace through strict moral code and kindness. If you're at peace of mind you'll physically be at peace. In turn a good person.

I know I'm rambling like an idiot but maybe this will open some internal dialogue within yourself.
>>
>>16905869
I believe that selflessness is still mildly selfish, the reason I want to be a good person Is it would give me happy butterfly feelings and make me just in general feel good.

>>16905868
I do sometimes, I enjoy the parables I grew up catholic, but I just can't find any spirituality through religion. I do not believe in an afterlife.
>>16905865
Yeah I got a kitty
>>16905845
Thanks anon
>>
>>16905892
I see how you could come to that conclusion. People act so that they feel good rather than the other person.

My advice, do what makes you happy, but don;t become stagnant. Keep your mind active and productive. Accomplish your goals and don't stop, live how you see fit without destroying the well beings of others.

Then you're a good human.
>>
If you are aware of your selfishness, start by avoiding acts that would cause trouble or harm to other people. Prioritizing yourself isn't bad per se, but it is bad when it's detrimental to others.
>>
>>16905917
Thank you, I feel thats what I needed to hear. I'm just so sick of feeling sorry for myself and taking myself too seriously. I find myself saying things in my head like "Oh she left me, how could she leave me we had such amazing times together" "She said she loved me"

I find i'm a victim of everything, and I want it to stop, although I do work very hard and I am proactive I can't help but think these thoughts, and I'd like it to stop
>>
>>16905892
>I believe that selflessness is still mildly selfish, the reason I want to be a good person Is it would give me happy butterfly feelings and make me just in general feel good

I second this. But that warm feeling you get when you help someone else is truly a beautiful feeling.
>>
>>16905946
it really is anon, I haven't fell for the nice guys finish last meme. And i've had some very meaningful relationships with some very beautiful women.
>>
>>16905939
No problem, all of our paths begin from birth and end in death. But you're journey is different than anyone else's, good luck on your travels.
>>
ITT:
borderline personality disorder

My advice to OP: it's not selfish to think solely of yourself - it's maybe one of the least selfish things. If everyone was successfully taking care of themselves completely, the world would be a place much less burdened by useless scum.
>>
>>16906035
>Boarderline personality disorder
who me? (OP)

And I do agree with you, that I should be working on myself which I am. I'm just speaking about in the sense that I feel the world owes me something
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.