[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I don't understand music
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: o2oHjtr.jpg (32 KB, 522x768) Image search: [Google]
o2oHjtr.jpg
32 KB, 522x768
Throughout my entire life, I've never fully understood music. It's just been background noise for me.

I've asked friends, family, strangers; why do you like music? The response is usually the sameā€“it sparks different emotions and reminds them of better/worse times.

I have spent countless hours, nearly every day, listening to music. Just trying to understand the appeal. I still **don't** get it.

What am I supposed to be feeling? It's just sound.

I also can't picture things in my head, so maybe there's a correlation there. My dreams are just touch/smell sensations. What's wrong with me, /adv/? I want to be normal.
>>
Sounds like you have some kind of legitimate mental inhibition. Not trying to be a jerk here.
>>
>>16904507
What can I do about it? I've considered taking shrooms to see if it'll change anything.
>>
>>16904503
Have you ever watched a scary movie and thought that the music contributed to how scary the movie is? What about other times when music is used in films, does it ever seem like the music matches the tone of what's happening in it?
>>
>>16904512
Do you have music on your phone still? Do you listen to it frequently to pass time?
>>
>>16904525
No, actually. It really just sounds like background noise. I used to rewatch films with no sound and just subtitles, it really makes no difference to me.
>>
>>16904527
I usually keep one or two songs on my phone as background noise when I'm walking. It's a good deterrent to have headphones on, I don't like it when people try to spark conversations with me when I'm alone.
>>
Google amusia
>>
>>16904888
>Google autism

Fixed it for you.
>>
>>16904503
Read An Anthropologist on Mars. Literally one of the case studies is about an anthropologist who doesn't get an emotional reaction from music. She gets intellectual satisfaction from things like Bach, but she doesn't "get" it
>>
What about poetry? Do you enjoy that shit without music?
>>
File: 1457257909235.jpg (165 KB, 1038x1155) Image search: [Google]
1457257909235.jpg
165 KB, 1038x1155
its ok to not dig music. in a way im kinda just like you op.

I used to like music in my childhood and teen years, but coming into my adult years i dont really care for it anymore. like you said, its just background noise now.

its fine if you dont really care for it, just find other things that entertain you and make you feel good.
>>
I hit the captcha early so i don't want to have to hit another.

You either have a predisposition to rhythm or you don't.

Being tone deaf sucks,

Luckily for me I not only can hear tones but can count to four.

So i can play Megadeath with no tuition.

Fucking captcha. At least its construction vehicles and not food.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.