[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've had a problem with my mom snooping on my computer so
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: dij-1995-blackwhole2.jpg (38 KB, 180x179) Image search: [Google]
dij-1995-blackwhole2.jpg
38 KB, 180x179
I've had a problem with my mom snooping on my computer so I decided to add a password to my login a couple months ago.

Two weeks ago, however, she managed to log on to my account while I was gone. I'm a bit stumped at how she did this. Is it possible that she has a keylogger installed on my computer this whole time? If she does, what's the best way to get rid of it? I'm not a tech-savvy person at all.

I'm worried that she's been able to see my chatlogs with my girlfriend who I've been talking to mostly on Steam. My mom blew up at me when she snooped my Skype chats with my gf back when my computer wasn't password protected. I know I can't let my parents control my life and I probably seem like a huge pussy but circumstances at the moment just don't allow me to move out anytime soon.
>>
you must be over 18 to post here
>>
Could be that your password is too simple, alternatively she could have googled "how to log into an account without a password," pretty simple to do desu. If you want to keep her out then you can get a secondary lock that will launch on start up.

But even that you can disable from start up in safe mode, then uninstall.

Can't really do anything to keep someone out of your computer if they have access to it at the end of rhe day.
>>
Here's what you do.
Go on /d/.
Save every picture you see onto your desktop.
Enlarge the thumbnails on your desktop.
Then leave it out. The bait has been set!
>>
>>16903001
4chan is for adults, not children
>>
>>16903133
>>16903008
Ok didn't want to admit I'm a loser borderline-NEET with controlling parents but whatever.

>>16903020
My password is pretty long but I guess it's possible she went through admin mode and did some digging. If there was a keylogger, the snooping wouldn't have been so obvious.
>>
>>16903150
Yeah, not much you can really do friend. Either get a laptop and take it with you, move out, or just accept she will read your shit
>>
Install a gnu system, she will spend so long RTFM you can catch her in the act
>>
File: Untitled.png (95 KB, 657x387) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
95 KB, 657x387
If you have Windows, it is matter of 5 minutes to get into your account without password (google Windows password recovery / reset).

If you aren't "tech saavy" then your only reasonable option is:
1) make new account (because she can have the usb recovery for your current one)
2) make a new password which is longer than your :-D
3) apply encryption as in picture

But be warned that next time she resets password, you lose it all.
To fight keyloggers you might use character map / copy random text from internet and use it as new password.
>>
>>16903001
Just hide files and shit and tidy it up so she wont notice.

Like make them hidden
>>
>>16903150
If you're using Windows it's easy to get in without a password, no keylogger required. There's a million ways to go about it.

>>16903317
She may/may not have a usb login to your account, be aware that it's not the only way. Also like this poster said if she resets your pass you're fucked. Or if you loose your password.

My suggestion is to use a Linux distro from a usb for all your shit that you don't want your mother finding out about, just take it with you when you're not home.
>>
steam doesn't save chat logs
>>
Thanks to everybody who's given constructive advice so far.

>>16903413
This is the reason why we've only been talking on Steam. My main concern however is that a keylogger might be recording all keystrokes I've made in the program.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.