[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tomorrow, I have to lie to my boss about a mistake I've
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: qwKqx.jpg (47 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
qwKqx.jpg
47 KB, 480x270
Tomorrow, I have to lie to my boss about a mistake I've been making since I began working there (January). I will never make it again, but if he finds out I've been fucking up this whole time he could fire me. Advice? Tips?
>>
>>16902500

How bad is the mistake?

Best to come clean about it if it's not that serious
>>
>>16902500
Don't lie about it.
Admit your mistake, be honest, don't make excuses, and tell him that you won't do it again.

There's a chance he already knows that you've been making this mistake. If this is the case, he's looking for you to tell the truth.

You're risking getting fired no matter what. But if you lie, then you will continue to take that risk everyday, as he might find out you lied.

If you tell the truth, the risk vanishes.
>>
>>16902503
It's enough to fire me.
>>
>>16902506
Well what is it
>>
>>16902509
Probably having sex with the bosses daughter.
>>
>>16902509
It's hard to explain, but I've basically been ignoring any work for one of our clients because I didn't know he was a client
>>
>>16903481
Ah he know it's you man... or he'll find out.
>>
>>16903481
It's been less than three months. Just admit your mistake and don't do it again.
>>
>>16903481
Why weren't you aware that he was a client?
>>
>>16903489
I've made similar mistakes multiple times before.

>>16903491
I was given a list and this client wasn't on there. He's also a very small client so I've never heard my boss mention him as he was focused on the bigger ones
>>
My advice is to come clean if your mistake had any impact on the bottom line of the business. Otherwise you're setting yourself up for some serious legal issues. It's not illegal to make mistakes at your job (usually) but it's a different ballgame when you start giving false information to your employer.
>>
>>16903502

Can it be fixed?

When you fuck up, and you fuck up in a way that your company might lose a client, you're not really helping anyone by trying to keep it hidden. Not even yourself. Chances are they're going to find out sooner or later, and it's the difference between "he made a rookie mistake, but he was honest, and we fixed it" or "he was fucking up for months, kept it hidden, and lied directly to my face so he wouldn't get in trouble. He's dishonest and incompetent and he has the mind of a child. NEVER HIRE HIM"
>>
>>16903502
There are two reasons mistakes are made one is lack of training the second is character flaw. If you admit your mistake you'll admit to a lack of training, which means your manager and you both should take responsibility for the mistake in training. However, not admitting the mistake is a character flaw and your manager's responsibility is to remove you from the position.

Tldr; admit mistake
>>
>>16902500

Tips? Don't fucking lie. Don't make a small mistake bigger. You might get fired for making an honest mistake. But you will PERMANENTLY destroy your professional reputation if you try to cover it up just to save your own paycheck. That's one of those "integrity" things that you really can't take back once you've done it. You're not a child anymore. Bad decisions like this don't just wash away and blow over, they stick with you. I read this post and I see a guy working overtime to dig his own grave
>>
>>16903507
>>16903510
I am completely new to this industry and have never worked in it before; I got about three days of training (before a two week hiatus in the business). I can't really blame that, though. This is general incompetency on my part.

>>16903508
It cannot be fixed, so my two options are:
>cover my tracks and never make the mistake again
>admit to it, potentially be fired
My boss is already a pretty hostile man. He's yelled at me for small things like saying "he's IN a call" instead of "ON a call", called me dumbass, jackass, dummy, retarded, etc.
>>
>>16903520
Thanks Anon. I won't need to work overtime to fix my mistake. It's the kind of thing where, if I miss it, it's gone forever. The only thing I can do from this point forward is to ensure it doesn't happen again.
>>
>>16903526

How exactly do you imagine you'll "cover your tracks?" The client was your responsibility, and you dropped the ball. I don't know what business you're in, but it sounds like your whole "cover-up" would be blown if your client simply made a phone call to your company, and asked why they're being ignored.

You're really completely missing the point of the advice people are trying to give you. You might lose THIS job if you come clean. If you lie, if you cover it up, you seriously damage your ability to get ANY job ever again. You are not thinking long-term here. You did something stupid, and you're doubling down on it by doing something stupid AND intentionally dishonest.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.